Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Think I have social anxiety... scared to tell parents

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi guys,

So basically I'm a 19 year old male university student. For most of my life I feel like I've had social anxiety. I've always been known as a shy guy. At family gatherings I tend to just sit there whilst others around me talk. If I get asked a question I'll respond to it but that's as far as it goes. I remember when I was about 6 years old I was in this drama club. I was really enjoying it until these new people joined. This kind of relates to my university experiences so far - I don't mind going out with people that I'm used to, but when it comes to meeting new people, I tend to make excuses and worm my way out of it. So whenever my friend invites me out somewhere I tend to make an excuse as he brings people that I'm not used to speaking to. Whenever I'm put in a social situation I tend to sweat a lot. There's this one girl in particular who I have feelings for, even though I know nothing will happen between us as she's out of my league. We know who each other are but we've never really engaged in a conversation before. One thing that I really hate about myself is my monotonic voice. I feel like whenever I speak people instantly shut off as they think that I have a boring personality.
    I was tempted to go to the doctors about this and ask if they think I have social anxiety. The thing that worries me the most is that if I'm diagnosed, I feel like I have to tell my parents about it. My parents would probably be understanding but it's just the stigma that comes with it that worries me.

So first of all do you guys think I have social anxiety? Should I go to the doctors about it?

Hi, it's difficult to tell when it comes to anxiety but it's always best to speak to your gp about any concerns, they'll be able to give you the best advice . Also, it might be a good idea to speak to your Uni's mental health services as they'll also be able to give you some guidance to help you. Don't be afraid to talk to your parents, I'm sure they only want what's best for you and it's important to have people to talk to about things like this. Many people are in the exact same position so don't be scared, getting professional guidance and support from the people around you is a great start to getting past this , good luck!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.