The Student Room Group

Anders Breivik wins his trial against Norway for 'inhumane' detention

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chemting
But people seem to be talking for "human rights" here, not Norway... These guys aren't Norwegians and are talking about principle.

Do you support Abu Qatada's rights? Which seems to be an argument against the EU...

Posted from TSR Mobile

When will Abu bakr al Baghdadi go to Brussels and get his piece of the pie?

You don't even know what you are talking about.

This is about Norwegian law. It has nothing to do with EU or Brussels.
I, as others here surely are too, shocked by the news article.

However I did research when the case first came in to the media and:

Norway has a 1/5 re-offending rate.
The UK has a 2/5 or 3/5 re-offending rate.
The US has a 4/5 re-offending rate.

The difference between them?

Norway believes in treating those who commit crimes with humanity to allow them to fit back into normal life after prison. The US believes in severe punishment for those who commit crimes while the UK is in-between.

I would provide links but I am lazy, but the statistics show that despite Norway's "lenient" approach to prison they have the lowest re-offending rates.

However, this still sparks the debate that is it more important to make criminals fit in to normality after prison or make sure they "pay" for their crimes?

Morally I can understand the families would want somewhat revenge upon him but from Norway's POV they want him to not re-offend.

Original post by Farm_Ecology
This pretty much sums it up. The point of the law and human rights is that it applies to all.

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
This guy is the reason as to why so many families have lost their kids and he wins a trial for inhumane detention? He deserves the most disgusting form of punishment for what he's done.

I think both comments apply here. Yes humanity is required but at the same time evil people should be punished...

Personally if I was in power the death sentence would be back and people who commit clear crimes (there is no way in hell we can be wrong that he committed those crimes) would be killed. But maybe I am harsh :angry:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
This guy is the reason as to why so many families have lost their kids and he wins a trial for inhumane detention? He deserves the most disgusting form of punishment for what he's done.

That's not how Norway's justice system works, though. The focus is on rehabilitation not retribution/punishment. This is why their prisons are so nice and their re-offending rate is so low.

Maybe Breivik will never be rehabilitated but they can at least try. Keeping him locked up for 23 hours a day with no human contact is not going to help him integrate with society.
Original post by DorianGrayism
You don't even know what you are talking about.

This is about Norwegian law. It has nothing to do with EU or Brussels.

"the government had violated Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which guarantees respect for "private life" and correspondence"

“Some things are more precious because they don't last long.” - Oscar Wilde
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kieran1996

Morally I can understand the families would want somewhat revenge upon him but from Norway's POV they want him to not re-offend.

I dont think society should suffer because of the selfish whims of the families.
Yes, i do.

Fair enough. least you're consistent :smile:
"the government had violated Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which guarantees respect for "private life" and correspondence"
“Some things are more precious because they don't last long.” - Oscar Wilde

That still has nothing to do with the EU or Brussels.

IF you haven't worked it out....Norway isn't part of the EU.
I dont think society should suffer because of the selfish whims of the families.

I agree. Except I'd take out the word selfish :smile:
That still has nothing to do with the EU or Brussels.

IF you haven't worked it out....Norway isn't part of the EU.

They still have to comply to European Court of Human Rights, no?

Posted from TSR Mobile
God forbid having any principles.

Have to agree with this

we have principles and we should uphold them regardless of who the person is or what they have done

If we fail here we are not better then 'them'
They still have to comply to European Court of Human Rights, no?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok.

Still has nothing to do with the EU.

The Norwegians chose to be part of the European Court of Human Rights. The difference is that they don't bitch about it after.
Original post by BaconandSauce
Have to agree with this

we have principles and we should uphold them regardless of who the person is or what they have done

If we fail here we are not better then 'them'

Kill them with kindness. Just like with bullies
Ok.

Still has nothing to do with the EU.

The Norwegians chose to be part of the European Court of Human Rights. The difference is that they don't bitch about it after.

And the UK does - which was my point. To point out this hypocrisy.
Original post by Kieran1996
Kill them with kindness. Just like with bullies

I know sometimes we have to remind ourselves of the principles we claim to hold dear and this is one of these times

Have to agree we are better than the 'mob'
Yeah I have no problem with this. His crimes are not relevant at all. Either he's being treated appropriately or he isn't.
Reply 36
This pretty much sums it up. The point of the law and human rights is that it applies to all.

Original post by BaconandSauce
"Our best weapon in fighting extremism is humanity. The ruling in the Breivik case shows that we acknowledge the humanity of extremists too," he wrote.

I can't argue with this

The guy has his private gym and a Playstation 2. Inhumane.
Original post by Josb
The guy has his private gym and a Playstation 2. Inhumane.

No. But that's not what this was about.
Scandinavia gonna Scandinavia
Reply 39
Good stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest