Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

failed nursing degree

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I have recently failed an exam and asked to withdraw from my nursing course. I am still passionate about nursing and wish to reapply for the same course at another university, do i need to disclose that i have already failed the course once?

I'm really sorry to hear that OP

Did you have any extenuating/mitigating circumstances at all? Have you looked in to your university's appeals process?

If you've absolutely exhausted all options and the only option you have now is to withdraw but you'd like to re-apply, I would recommend you be completely honest on your application as these things tend to reveal themselves at one point or another and the ramifications of this are not worth it.

Universities are sympathetic, I'd email the universities you wish to apply to first explaining your situation, and those who are still willing to consider your application are the ones you should be applying to.

And finally, please don't be disheartened OP, anyone who has ever meaningfully succeeded at anything in life has failed at one point or another, there is no success without failure, it's commendable you still wish to continue with your degree in spite of this, this is a great attitude to have and I wish you the very best of luck for the future!

Hi, I had a number of mitigating circumstances and have appealed as far as i can take i but because i did not seek therapy or visit the doctors seeking support it was not upheld. I was wondering if i should disclose this but i am worried that disclosing the fact i have already failed the course once it will have ramifications. also there are only a few universities i will be applying for as i am wanting to study close to home second time around.
    thanks for the advise

You will have to tell future universities and mitigating circumstances can't be applied for retrospectively. Non-disclosure is basically lying and as you know is very much frowned upon. It may depend on which exam you failed, ie if it was maths/numeracy you're unlikely to find another university that will accept you. Sorry.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.