Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

PhD research proposal under word count.

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Hi everyone!

I am currently in the process of completing my PhD application for Sciences Po in international relations. Sciences Po outlines that a research proposal/project with a maximum of 5000 words must be submitted. I have approximately 2500 words and I feel like I have outlined and conveyed everything that I need to say in the proposal. Do you think that this is too far below the word limit? By saying 5000 word maximum are they indicating that they expect a word count close to that figure?

Thanks in advance!

Half the word limit may look bad. I'd say bring it up to at least 3500-4000. Make sure that you've shown that you're thinking deeply about the topic and methods and have explained everything so that a non-expert academic audience can understand it.

Usually, you need to be within 10% of max word count, and that's below the maximum, rather than above. Can you do more to locate your research proposal within the wider context, and identify it's potential contribution to knowledge? That's the crux of most proposals. And also, expand your methodology and rationale for your method.

Then you can throw in a paragraph about the potential direction for further research following your own contribution to knowledge.

This is not a case of being a university assignment where you are expected to reach the word count. These kind of proposals are completely up to you to convey what you need to. The word count is simply there to stop people endlessly going on as someone will have to read it.

So if you honestly think it is a robust proposal and there is nothing more you can add then I think that is fine and you can submit it. But might be worth getting someone else to look over it, they may see something you've missed and advise you to add a bit more in etc.

Good luck

Thanks for the responses! I will take your advice into account.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.