Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Working around a part-time masters

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

I've got a place to study Special and Inclusive Education at Bristol Uni this September and I've opted to do it part time because I have no financial support other than the little leftover bit of government postgrad loan I'm going to have left after paying fees.

I work at a college and can get Learning Support Assistant work very easily but I'm worried this won't pay enough for me to live. I'm also worried about course hours: how soon will I know the hours I'll be in the university? Working in education I need to apply for work for September very soon. I am a (very close to being) qualified teacher so I could possibly get teaching hours but I worry about the pressures of teaching and studying.

Has anybody done this? How did you find it? Can you please tell me I am going to be able to afford to live? Not having any of the dispensations full time students get doesn't feel very fair but I definitely couldn't afford a full time masters as it stands.

I can't offer very much advice apart from checking with the uni about what hours you'll be expected to be on campus/doing taught stuff.

Lots of part-time education Masters are designed to attract practicing teachers (I did one over 3 years while teaching part-time) - so contact hours are designed to fit around this, i.e. evenings, weekends, school holidays.

I had a look at the description for your course and it states that:

'This pathway focuses on inclusive practice and is intended for teachers and other professionals working with students who are experiencing barriers to learning and participation and/or other special educational needs; whether in mainstream, special schools/units, colleges or early years settings'

Sounds as if LSA/teaching work would not only be possible, but also beneficial (in that it feeds into your assignments/research) - although the bit about the pressures of teaching/studying is certainly correct, it's hard work doing both.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.