The Student Room Group

Word Counts for assignments

I've been at uni and am currently writing my dissertation in my 3rd year. speaking to other people in lectures, or over hearing their conversations they are always talking about how they have to cut down their word counts in an assignment.

I find this so annoying because I am the opposite. I am always below the word count (but still within 10%). This problem is so annoying because often when in my mind I have completed work I go through the assignment and change certain phrases to longer forms thus creating more words (Eg changing 'and' to 'as well as').

I always have enough relevant content for assignments and do enough reading and gathering of sources. I average around 60 in terms of marks.

Its hard handing in assignments when you feel like you should hand in more words when in fact I have actually answered what needs to be answered.
I'm exactly like you. Grateful that in British English you can add extra "that"s in there and get away with it. (E.g. "I think that the sky is blue" instead of "I think the sky is blue".)

Being below the word count can be good as it's a sign that* you're not waffling and you're being concise. But it can also mean you're not going in to enough depth or taking your points far enough, so you need to strike a balance between the two. :h:

*there it is again!
to be honest if you're averaging around 60% that says to me that other people are putting more into their essays and that is why those people are probably scoring higher
Reply 3
Well if you're only getting 60 you clearly lack content.
It's fine to be concise, but sounds like you're being too concise.
Reply 4
Original post by Inazuma
Well if you're only getting 60 you clearly lack content.
It's fine to be concise, but sounds like you're being too concise.

Definition of concise after googling it: 'giving a lot of information clearly and in a few words; brief but comprehensive.'

So are you saying that I should be describing something in a longer form because it looks better to write it that way?

If that's so then the system is ridiculous.

This is why I can't wait to leave university. The academic side of it does very little to prepare for what I am going to do in the real world.
Reply 5
Original post by jjh87
Definition of concise after googling it: 'giving a lot of information clearly and in a few words; brief but comprehensive.'

So are you saying that I should be describing something in a longer form because it looks better to write it that way?

This is why I can't wait to leave university. The academic side of it does very little to prepare for what I am going to do in the real world.

Okay, perhaps I should have rephrased, it's fine to be concise, but it sounds like you're lacking too much info.

It's not about filling in with random words like you're doing, and one oughtn't be rewarded for that - that would be ridiculous.

I personally go way overboard on research, have masses of information, end up a little over and then cut out all those filler words. I'm then left with concise essays full of stuff.
If you're finding yourself under, and needing to put filler, you probably need more research, or analysis. Depends what the feedback says. Filler does not get you more marks.
Original post by jjh87

If you want to get higher marks then you need to go in to detail and build on your points to develop a strong argument. This isn't the same as waffling or adding description (neither of which will get you any marks). The ability to write clearly and concisely is a benefit as it allows you to expand on your points in depth whilst keeping within the word count.

What are you studying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending