The Student Room Group

Open University

Will the post-graduate loan be able to be used for Open University masters degrees? The OU aren't sure yet when I have asked them. I want to do an MSc in Advancing Healthcare Practice, over 3 years, 60 credits each year.
Original post by Samantha1976
Will the post-graduate loan be able to be used for Open University masters degrees? The OU aren't sure yet when I have asked them. I want to do an MSc in Advancing Healthcare Practice, over 3 years, 60 credits each year.

OU courses aren't excluded but you have to meet the 50% intensity rules for part time study and you have to be resident in England at the start of your course.

See http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=23307-Postgraduate-Loan-Part-time-Who-can-get-a-PGL

An 180 credit MSc over 3 years wouldn't meet the 50% intensity rule - you would have to complete within 2 years.
Reply 2
Hi, please can I just add that I have spoken to the OU and while they are sure their courses will qualify, you would need to pay the fees up front (or via their monthly instalment plan) and then use the loan to pay your self back. I looked at starting an MA in History this October and, having spoken to 2 people in Finance, was told that they would not accept payments after the 15th Sept....even though the course doesn't start until October.

Two other Universities have come back to me to say they would allow the instalment payments to match the dates that the loan payments are made, so I think the OU might miss out here, which is a shame as they're courses are extremely good.
Original post by Samantha1976

Hi

You will be able to apply for a Postgraduate Loan for a part-time course. There are some requirements around how long the course will take to complete. You can study for up to two years for the equivalent of a one year full-time course, up to four years for the equivalent of a two year full-time course, or for up to three years if there’s no full time equivalent course.

The OU should be able to give you more information about how long your course would take to complete studying full time, or if there’s no equivalent full-time course.

Laura

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending