The Student Room Group

Commercial banking graduate programme: rejected then called back for an opening. What

Hi everyone, a question about commercial banking rather than IB but I feel this section is still appropriate.

This past december I applied to a graduate programme in commercial banking at a major global bank. I got to the final stage but was eventually rejected.Yesterday - 4 months on - I received a call from HR, which basically said: "We see that you got to the final stage. Your performance was good but due to low intake and extreme competitiveness of the programme you were rejected. However, the need emerged for more graduates at both the headquarters and a regional office. Would you be interested in that?"I answered yes and she said that someone would get in touch with me in two weeks. No further details and I didn't think it appropriate to ask whether I was about to be offered a job. This matter is clearly for further discussion in the next call.

My question is: based on your experience, am I about to be made an offer or will I have to go through another evaluation process?I can guess why I was called back - either more people than expected reneged on their offers or they're expanding - but I cannot imagine what my chances of getting the job are at the moment.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

only sounds like good news tbf
Reply 2
Original post by gr8wizard10
only sounds like good news tbf

I've been knocking on every wooden surface I've walked by over the past 16 hours. I hope you're right and this won't turn out to be one massive tease!
HSBC?
Reply 4
Original post by Bdoskail
HSBC?

Yessir. Did the same happen to you or the name of the programme was a giveaway?
Original post by Pucizza
Yessir. Did the same happen to you or the name of the programme was a giveaway?

Twas the terms commercial and global bank :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Bdoskail
Twas the terms commercial and global bank :biggrin:

Hah! Any thoughts on how close I might be to an offer?
Original post by Pucizza
Hah! Any thoughts on how close I might be to an offer?

My best guess would be thst they will reinterview a few new candidates who they thought nearly made it.
I would go for another interview, just be happy business conditions changed or previous candidates turned them down.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
I would go for another interview, just be happy business conditions changed or previous candidates turned them down.

I'll be happy when my name's on a contract, till then lots of preparation and fondling of wooden surfaces :P
Well good luck and pepare.
Reply 11
Thank you!
It will probably just be 1 more interview with the team to see if they like you and are happy for you to join their team then a potential offer.

I am also doing an internship this summer in commercial banking! :smile:
It's because people dropped out / had better offers. Happens all the time.
Reply 14
What's the pay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studos
What's the pay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course you'd ask that. Why don't you ask what a commercial bank does or what the job entails?
Reply 16
Original post by biglad2k16
Of course you'd ask that. Why don't you ask what a commercial bank does or what the job entails?

That's the second question. if it doesn't pay well, why would I bother to pursue it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by studos
That's the second question. if it doesn't pay well, why would I bother to pursue it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

All three questions are important. I should add anyway that, why pursuing a role that doesn't pay well: if "doesn't pay well" is such only by banking standards, there are good learning opportunities, the firm is global and the alternatives scarce... I'd go for it.

UPDATE: I got invited to an interview by the business banking regional director. The role is obviously in the business (corporate) division. I'll learn more next week but I'd be surprised it paid less than 30-32k.

I'm an international who had originally applied to a global programme, relationship management stream, so it's likely a role in relationship management.

The takeaway from this, anyway, is that rejections are not necessarily permanent and it may help to follow through and stay in touch, you may be a silver medalist :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by studos

Posted from TSR Mobile

Commercial banking does pay very well but it depends on what you consider good pay. What would you say is a good starting salary?
Original post by Pucizza
All three questions are important. I should add anyway that, why pursuing a role that doesn't pay well: if "doesn't pay well" is such only by banking standards, there are good learning opportunities, the firm is global and the alternatives scarce... I'd go for it.

UPDATE: I got invited to an interview by the business banking regional director. The role is obviously in the business (corporate) division. I'll learn more next week but I'd be surprised it paid less than 30-32k.

I'm an international who had originally applied to a global programme, relationship management stream, so it's likely a role in relationship management.

The takeaway from this, anyway, is that rejections are not necessarily permanent and it may help to follow through and stay in touch, you may be a silver medalist :smile:

Good luck for the interview. I've also PM'ed you some information you might be interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending