The Student Room Group

I don't understand how English is marked...

I'm currently doing my GCSEs, but this post is about English Lit and Lang on Edexcel. I got my mock back a few days ago for 1 questions (worth 40 marks) and I got 24, which is absolutely appalling for my class. He showed us an answer from someone in the class who did really well, and they were making the same points as me and everything, but they come out with an A*.

I just don't understand this subject, it annoys me so much. I thought it would be an easy A but the exams are so difficult and I hardly get any feedback on my paper so how can I improve? I've already gone through examiners reports and I thought I nailed to exam technique but obviously not.

People seem to think that maybe he is a harsh marker, and that we'll be pleasantly surprised when we get our actual result but I really want a solid A in English Lit and Lang.
Reply 1
Could be vocabulary
Original post by romansholiday
I'm currently doing my GCSEs, but this post is about English Lit and Lang on Edexcel. I got my mock back a few days ago for 1 questions (worth 40 marks) and I got 24, which is absolutely appalling for my class. He showed us an answer from someone in the class who did really well, and they were making the same points as me and everything, but they come out with an A*.

I just don't understand this subject, it annoys me so much. I thought it would be an easy A but the exams are so difficult and I hardly get any feedback on my paper so how can I improve? I've already gone through examiners reports and I thought I nailed to exam technique but obviously not.

People seem to think that maybe he is a harsh marker, and that we'll be pleasantly surprised when we get our actual result but I really want a solid A in English Lit and Lang.

Well it's hard to find out what you're doing wrong when we don't know your writing style or the question or the exam board.....
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Well it's hard to find out what you're doing wrong when we don't know your writing style or the question or the exam board.....

'(Original post by romansholiday)
I'm currently doing my GCSEs, but this post is about English Lit and Lang on Edexcel.'
Original post by The Empire Odyssey

It's is the 40 marker (+7 spag marks) on the literature paper, Of Mice and Men, Edexcel (as I said previously in the original post..)
Original post by romansholiday
It's is the 40 marker (+7 spag marks) on the literature paper, Of Mice and Men, Edexcel (as I said previously in the original post..)

Do beg my pardon, I completely missed that!
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/English%20Literature/2010/Exam%20materials/5ET1H_01_que_20150518.pdf

Here's a link to an example of a past paper - scroll down to question 13 and 14 for OMAM.

The 47 marks are split into 3 sections I believe:
- 24 Marks for "responding to texts critically and imaginatively; selectand evaluate relevant textual detail to illustrate and supportinterpretations."
- 16 Marks for context.
- 7 for spag.

Quick Reply

Latest