Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Should pork be allowed in British Schools?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

(Original post by JoeTSR)
    Not a written source unfortunately, and it depends on the school (I think some universities pay more). However, at a top-end private boarding school, one of the dinner ladies told us when one of us asked (I was there, it wasn't Chinese whispers) that they spent £1.20 a day total per student, for a total of 3 meals a day, plus a snack.

You could tell when they'd upped the budget (mainly when parents were visiting and eating, maybe the odd special occasion). If you're curious, look up Sodexho/Sodexo for some more concrete figures on just how little plenty of schools spend on food. And the food wasn't actually too bad for 40p a day (though the vegetarian option almost always won hands down).
    Hm, that seems very cheap. I went to a probably middle market private day high school and I think my folks paid like £3.50 or something a day, although obviously I don't know what they actually spent on the pupils. I assume there was a hefty margin in it. They seemed to be able to put together a decent lunch with meat and fish and such like, though.

I'll have a look at your figures (y)

If pork is banned, that would infringe on people's right/cultural right to eat pork.

Your culture forbids you from eating pork, but no one is forcing you to eat pork. You should not force your culture onto others in the name of multiculturalism. It works both ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No... is there anyone that actually answered yes? I wouldn't go to a Muslim country as and expect them to bend over backwards catering to me. I'd follow their customs while still living to my morals.

Why on earth would we have to take pork off school diners to cater towards them? No one is forcing them to follow their religion. If they're not allowed to eat pork, fine. Don't take any jobs that include handling pork then. It's like me being allergic to chocolate then starting a petition because i can't work in a chocolate factory.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.