The Student Room Group

Mechanical engineer prospects in software development/programming

Hi,

I'm currently a Mechanical engineering student in my second year. Whilst I very much enjoy my degree, I've recently found new passion for software development/programming. I've always been interested in computers, but I want to stress that I am by no means an expert, and I've only recently started looking at actually learning how to program in languages such as java and writing up basic classes etc. But I've literally been hooked to this since I started, and by the looks of things, I'm picking it up quickly.

Following this interest, I applied to IBM's software development placement and have gotten through to the last stage. I completed all the stages including the telephone interview and assessment centre, and I will be shortly doing my last face-to-face interview. I guess since I got this far I must have shown my passion to the point wherethey're willing to put my degree background aside.

I want to know what you guys think? Is it possible for a mechanical engineering grad to make it in a software field?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending