The Student Room Group

GCSE CORE SCIENCE B1 C1 P1 Exams 2016 {OFFICIAL THREAD} EDEXCEL ONLY

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
As shown in the title this is an EDEXCEL thread only
Reply 241
Original post by xotinz
Do you guys have any predictions for the physics 6 markers? It probably won't be Herschel and Ritter because that came up last year, didn't it?

Generating Electricity the one with slip rings and carbon brushes.

I actually predicted correctly on Nitrogen Cycle for Biology and Liquid Paraffin for Chemistry :u:
Original post by Taran001

I actually predicted correctly on Nitrogen Cycle for Biology and Liquid Paraffin for Chemistry :u:

what do you mean 'Generating Electricity the one with slip rings and carbon brushes'? Could you explain please:smile:
Original post by the pro
what do you mean 'Generating Electricity the one with slip rings and carbon brushes'? Could you explain please:smile:

In industry, electricity is generated by spinning a coil of wire in a magnetic field.The carbon brushes act as contacts with the slip rings, so that the current can always flow from the coil to an external circuit. Its basically just moving a magnet with coils on through a magnetic field to make electricity - you'll probably have to revise how to change the current too eg. spinning it faster, more coils = bigger current

wow im going to start revising that now!
good luck everyone hope you do well in tomorrows exam:smile::smile::wink:
Reply 246
Original post by bethanngreen
In industry, electricity is generated by spinning a coil of wire in a magnetic field.The carbon brushes act as contacts with the slip rings, so that the current can always flow from the coil to an external circuit. Its basically just moving a magnet with coils on through a magnetic field to make electricity - you'll probably have to revise how to change the current too eg. spinning it faster, more coils = bigger current

wow thanks!

Oh so electromagnetic induction ?

I thought that was p2? Why would p2 come into p1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
I thought that was p2? Why would p2 come into p1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think its about electromagnetic induction which is P1
Reply 250
💪🏾
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by the pro
I think its about electromagnetic induction which is P1

Oh yh sorry I was thinking about something completely different haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
17TH 19TH 25TH MAY 2016
B1 C1 P1
Have you finished the syllabus? What are your marks/grades on the past papers?

"edexcel only?"

bit inclusive.
Oh yh sorry I was thinking about something completely different haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

But the carbon stuff thats been predicted we've never learn that, have you?
Original post by the pro
But the carbon stuff thats been predicted we've never learn that, have you?

What carbon stuff? The carbon rods?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What carbon stuff? The carbon rods?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Generating Electricity with slip rings and carbon brushes
Original post by the pro
Generating Electricity with slip rings and carbon brushes

Oh no I didn't know about that haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
i didn't think this was on the spec?
Original post by boohoodex
i didn't think this was on the spec?

If ur talking about the carbon brush and slip rings, I didn't know about that as well and won't bother learning it haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
electromagnetic induction came up on last years paper
evidence: explain how this current is induced in the coil in the model.

Quick Reply

Latest