Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My girlfriends really depressed!

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hey guys,
    I am 17 and have found a girl that really fulfills everything I need, and I think it's a mutual feeling. Problem is, she is really depressed and has really low self esteem. She has self harmed in the past but we are past that now, but she feels everything is hopeless and she will never get better. No matter how many times I tell her that we will work through it together she can't seem to be optimistic. She gets really easily stressed out and blames her issues on overthinking everything. And she really does, she's getting stressed out by family, friends, Alevels, health you name it! I love her to pieces but it's really bringing me down seeing her like this, and is really stressing me out. I feel like every second of the day I am trying to get her to see what I see. Instead of spending time doing amazing things. I have told her that I would support her throughout it all but she makes it seem as if there is nothing to be done, and it's kind of passing on to me which really upsets me.

I really want to know any stories of people who have gone through the same thing and what they did. I just want to be able to help her, I don't want to feel as useless as I do currently, because I miss her craziness and it depresses me. Please help me, I really need to know what to do. Maybe things I could do with her, or little exersices that we could do to help her feel less depressed. ANYTHING I just really want her back!

Many thanks

Obviously there is a lot she can do and it is far from hopeless... but hopelessness is one of the symptoms of depression and makes it hard to recover from because you feel nothing you can do will help. In terms of stuff she can do: eating well, exercising, keeping up with hobbies, getting fresh air, seeing friends, talking about her feelings, keeping busy, challenging negative thoughts. In terms of what you can do, listen and be there for her, try and encourage her to do nice things and don't get frustrated if things don't improve as fast as you want them to. Understand this is something only she can change, there is no magical formula you can use to fix it, look after your own mental health as well and be prepared to say enough if it is having too great an effect on you.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.