The Student Room Group

Is sunlight good for you?

I am doing a case study: Is sunlight good or bad for you?

I will post my work up.

Can you please help me if you think i should anything to make it better.

Is sunlight good for you?
In this case study, I will analyse the effects of the sun rays and will come to a conclusion, if sunlight is good for you. Hopefully, my analysis will ‘paint a picture’ of the positive and negative effects of the suns rays.

Light

The sun’s energy (light energy) consists of all the radiation from the electromagnetic spectrum: gamma rays, x-rays, ultraviolet, visible light, infrared, microwave, radio.
Humans can only see visible light.

Visible light can be split up into a band of colours, known as the spectrum. We can split up white light by using a prism, which causes light to change direction; known as refraction. The shorter the wavelength of the light the more it is refracted. As a result, red light is refracted the least and violet light is refracted the most. When the process of refraction occurs its velocity changes, the light rays slow down and the direction changes. The reason why the light rays slow down is because…

WHY DO THE LIGHT RAYS SLOW DOWN???

Animals

Sunlight is very important to some ecosystems because without sunlight the animals would die mainly due to starvation. Animals need plants to grow because they mainly get their energy from plants; therefore, sunlight is very important for species.

When sunlight falls on leaves it absorbs red and blue light from it. This is selective absorption. The leaves reflect the other colours; green light is reflected the strongest therefore the leaves look green.

Food Chain

I will now use a food chain to explain how vital sunlight is for animals.

Producer -> Primary Consumer -> Secondary Consumer -> Tertiary Consumer

(picture)

Without sunlight there will be no photosynthesis; therefore, the producer in this food chain will not be able to survive. If the producer cannot survive it will affect the entire food chain in many ways such as:

- The population of grasshoppers will decrease
because there would be no food (grass) to eat.

- The snakes will decrease because there
would be no food (grasshoppers) to eat.

- The hawks will decrease because there
would be no food (snakes) to eat.

It is very important for animals that there is sunlight because without it they would die.

What is photosynthesis?

Photosynthesis is a chemical process that plants use to make their food. Leaves need the following (for photosynthesis to take place): light, water and carbon dioxide. Where do these three things come from? Well, carbon dioxide enters the leaf through tiny holes on the underside of the lead. The holes are called stomata. Water comes from the roots but how do the roots transport water to the leaf? The xylem tube transports water from the roots to the leaves. The third thing plants need is light, which comes from the sun.

This is a balanced equation:

(picture)

The waste products of photosynthesis are: water and oxygen. Oxygen is pivotal for every living thing because without it no living thing would survive. The reason why no living thing would survive is because without oxygen our organs, or body parts, wouldn't be able to work. So without oxygen, your brain wouldn't be able think, your heart wouldn't be able to beat; your stomach wouldn't be able to digest food and so forth. If all our organs were to be without oxygen for even a fairly short period of time, about 4 to 6 minutes, they would stop working and we would die. There are some organs that really, really need oxygen and since the body knows this, it works to try to protect these organs if there is a period of time when oxygen is stopped. These organs are the brain and heart; therefore it is very important that plants receive sunlight.

Can you help me by checking my work if anything needs improvement.

Also,

GOOD POINTS

- heat energy
- gives us sight (most important sence, some may argue)
- plants and animals would die without the process of photosynthesis.

Any more good points??

BAD POINTS

- skin cancer - destroys tissue and they go out of control
- sunburn

Can you give me some disadvantages of sunlight?

Thankyou.
Haseem -1-

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sunlight is essential for us in another way as we use it to produce vitamin D aswell.
Also the sun DOES NOT produce x-rays or gamma rays. x-rays and gamma rays are rarely found in the universe.
Oxygen is pivotal for every living thing because without it no living thing would survive

Not neccasarily, plants do not need an outside source of oxygen and when life first exsisted there was no oxygen using life. And there are some bacteria which don't need oxygen (O2) or sunlight and live of chemicals.

I would also set it out differently and have titles such as: What is light? What effect does it have? Good points? bad points? and then conclusions?

Hoipe that helps :P
Reply 2
BlakDog
Sunlight is essential for us in another way as we use it to produce vitamin D aswell.
Also the sun DOES NOT produce x-rays or gamma rays. x-rays and gamma rays are rarely found in the universe.

Not neccasarily, plants do not need an outside source of oxygen and when life first exsisted there was no oxygen using life. And there are some bacteria which don't need oxygen (O2) or sunlight and live of chemicals.

I would also set it out differently and have titles such as: What is light? What effect does it have? Good points? bad points? and then conclusions?

Hoipe that helps :P

Anaerobic bacteria and such dont need oxygen, but germinating plants and such do as they cant start photosynthesizing straight away, i.e. no chlorophyll. They need it for respiration.
Reply 3
Sunlight helps you to wake up.
Reply 4
Sunlight catalyses vitamin D production in your skin cells.
Reply 5
I know I'm lazy, but I didn't read your whole thing, I just skimmed it.

You could say about SAD (seasonally affected depression or something like that) in which people get depressed if they don't get enough sun.

While you're at it say that the sun is involved in global warming (in fact it's the biggest contributor!).

And if you really wanted to be pedantic, you could say that without the sun, we wouldn't be able to see much at all!
Your title 'is sunlight good for you?' suggests its to do with effects of sun on a person. Does global warming, fossile fuels, photosynthesis even come into it? Maybe your title is just all wrong.
Reply 7
^^

A gcse case study. i dont know jus been giving da question
Reply 8
WHY DO THE LIGHT RAYS SLOW DOWN???

^^

help me please
Reply 9
jashan
Anaerobic bacteria and such dont need oxygen, but germinating plants and such do as they cant start photosynthesizing straight away, i.e. no chlorophyll. They need it for respiration.

Some plants (or bacterial plants e.g. cyanobacteria) do not need oxygen and can survive by useing water to produce energy.
Reply 10
thankyou.

BUT..

WHY DO LIGHT RAYS SLOW DOWN (IN REFRACTION)???

^^

help me please
Light doesn't actually slow down, it always travels at exactly the same speed c. The reason light appears to slow down is beacause when light enters a material, the photons of light are absorbed by the atoms in that material, increasing the energy of the atom. The atom will then lose that energy after a tiny fraction of time, emitting a photon in the process. This new photon (which is identical to the first) travels at the speed of light until it is absorbed by another atom and the process is repeated. The short delay between the time that the atom absorbs the photon and the excited atom releases as photon causes it to appear that light is slowing down. This cause the AVERAGE speed of the photon of light to slow down BUT the light is still travelling at c.

Hope that helps :P
haseem
^^

A gcse case study. i dont know jus been giving da question

Well maybe you are just answering it all wrong. What does "is sunlight good for you?" have to do with photosynthesis? That would be "is sunlight good for plants" or the importance of sunlight in general. Maybe speak to your teacher because quite possibly you are over-researching and writing up stuff that isn't needed.
Reply 14
wat are u talking about. ^^

phtosnthesis is crucial for animals becuase some animals gte food from plants.

so i have to explain wat photsynthesis is and etc.
Reply 15
BlakDog
I think:
Light doesn't actually slow down, it always travels at exactly the same speed c. The reason light appears to slow down is beacause when light enters a material, the photons of light are absorbed by the atoms in that material, increasing the energy of the atom. The atom will then lose that energy after a tiny fraction of time, emitting a photon in the process. This new photon (which is identical to the first) travels at the speed of light until it is absorbed by another atom and the process is repeated. The short delay between the time that the atom absorbs the photon and the excited atom releases as photon causes it to appear that light is slowing down. This cause the AVERAGE speed of the photon of light to slow down BUT the light is still travelling at c.

Hope that helps :P

ive cheked - and im certain it slows down.

thankyou for ur explanation. i will tryusing it .
Reply 16
Worzo
Sunlight catalyses vitamin D production in your skin cells.

Yes, it does... but that link is terrible... i can barely read it without cringing... it's just wrong... very wrong...

Some of the rubbish in the link...

"Vitamin D deficiency causes schizophrenia."

"Your risk of developing serious diseases like diabetes and cancer is reduced 50% - 80% through simple, sensible exposure to natural sunlight 2-3 times each week."

"Infants who receive vitamin D supplementation (2000 units daily) have an 80% reduced risk of developing type 1 diabetes over the next twenty years."

it's complete and utter bull****...

edit: and incase you hadn't noticed... the guy who 'wrote' this article is being paid by some online drug companies to sell 'vitamin X' which *apparently* can make you sunbathe for twice as long without getting sunburnt... it also claims various other mad health benefits... (again, utter bull****)...

http://www.newstarget.com/002156.html
Reply 17
haseem
ive cheked - and im certain it slows down.

thankyou for ur explanation. i will tryusing it .

It doesn't slow it down. Think of an analogy of a car going down a straight road. The car can only go at 70mph or stop. If the car goes 70 miles down the road stops for an hour and then goes another 70 miles then its average speed is less than 70 but the speed it actually travels at is either 70 OR 0 (ignoring slowing down which a photon doesn't do fo the purpose of the analogy)
Light only APPEARS to slow down as it is constantly absorbed and re-emitted, or stopping and starting. They say light slows down but really it doesn't.

And revenged i agree that link is suspicious.
Reply 18
Revenged
Yes, it does... but that link is terrible.

Yes, yes it is. Apologies for that. It was just the first thing that popped up on Google, and I didn't really read it - I'm not the doing the OP's research for them.

BlakDog
It doesn't slow it down. Think of an analogy of a car going down a straight road. The car can only go at 70mph or stop. If the car goes 70 miles down the road stops for an hour and then goes another 70 miles then its average speed is less than 70 but the speed it actually travels at is either 70 OR 0 (ignoring slowing down which a photon doesn't do fo the purpose of the analogy)
Light only APPEARS to slow down as it is constantly absorbed and re-emitted, or stopping and starting. They say light slows down but really it doesn't.

I'm afraid you are wrong.

Classically, it is the polarisation of the medium which interferes with the electromagnetic wave, causing the phase velocity to be retarded. With a quantum mechanical approach, the interaction of the photons with phonons in the medium creates particles called "polaritons", which travel at less than c: photons at c are not "stopping and starting", as you claim.
Reply 19
^

sfe

Latest

Trending

Trending