Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

UCAS releases hackneyed PS opening sentence league table

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

1 "From a young age I have (always) been [interested in/fascinated by]…" 1,779
    2 "For as long as I can remember I have…" 1,451
    3 "I am applying for this course because…" 1,370
    4 "I have always been interested in…" 927
    5 "Throughout my life I have always enjoyed…" 310
    6 "Reflecting on my educational experiences…" 257
    7 "Nursing is a very challenging and demanding [career/profession/course]…" 211
    8 "Academically, I have always been…" 168
    9 "I have always wanted to pursue a career in…" 160
    10 "I have always been passionate about…" 160
    and if you were thinking about using a cute quotation to start with

At number 11, the Nelson Mandela's quote "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world…" was used by 148 people.
    first thought... it's not that serious really, there's something like 700,000 applicants and about 7000 of them made the top 10 - it's only about 1%

the notorious flaming pajama incident was repeated in 234 statements

Given teachers seem to be in the dark about what's expected of a PS it seems rather cruel to be asking 700000 18 yo applicants to produce a PS without any real guidance about what's expected or how it should be marked and then start mocking them for sounding like each other.

Having looked back on my personal statement, it was highly cringy and pretentious, but at least it was completely unique.

"Pursuing a career" is a personal bugbear of mine: it suggests you are chasing after the coat tails of something just beyond your grasp, and as such, best omitted. It's also usually misspelt as 'persue', which is a further transgression.

Basically "since I was in my mama's belly, all I ever wanted was to" - you'd have thought that people would realise how boringly cliche this is. Seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.