The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
yeh wazzup i agree im in exactly the same situation. that paper was a bastard compared to like the last few years

xx
Reply 81
What do you rekon the A boundary will be then? D1 is like the lowest, does that mean 70+ could equal 100UMS?
Reply 82
and i am also soooo annoyed, because i had to self teach it and it took me quite a while. i just want to punch something.lol.
Reply 83
spamuo
What do you rekon the A boundary will be then? D1 is like the lowest, does that mean 70+ could equal 100UMS?

More like 60+, grade boundaries for d1 are ridiculously low.
Reply 84
are you serious that they are ridiculously low?
what do u think is to get 90% on this paper?
MiniMax
Did anyone else completely miss Question 1, and start writing the answer to Question 2 in the answer space for Q1? I only realised when I got to Q3 and it said 'fill in the table' and I thought, where's the table?

Bloody Edexcel leaving half a page of space just to answer a two mark sentance.

Anyways, I know now that i also screwed up the Simplex (I got P=60 something :x). I completely forgot about taking the modulus for the value of theta, but I think I only lost between 2-3 marks because it was a carry-through error. Didn't have time to check, wasted 5 minutes at the end re-writing Q2.

Altogether, I feel confident for an A. :smile:

you take the modulus!?! I thought you ignored the negative values.
o dear.
Reply 86
wazzup
are you serious that they are ridiculously low?
what do u think is to get 90% on this paper?

Go through all the previous year grade boundaries.

http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupWorkspaces.asp?GroupId=56605&WorkspaceId=33006
Messed up my simplex, took the negative number as a pivot on my 2nd tableaux rather than the lowest non-negative then I proceeded to do about 4 iterations based on this wrong number. Went back and used the right number and came out with a working answer after 1 iteration argh, and this all made me run out of time. I found the scheduling a little hard too.
Reply 88
We've always been told that the D1 boundaries are ridiculously high, because the theory in it is a lot easier than say FP2. Plus, I'd guess it is more Further Maths people who take this module (could be a massive over generalisation) and therefore the grade boundary is likely to be high. but given how hard the exam was compared to the last few years, it may come down to reasonable heights.
Reply 89
melissabee
you take the modulus!?! I thought you ignored the negative values.
o dear.

I have no idea anymore (non of my text books or resources said anything about it). We were completely confused and our class just agreed before the exam to take the modulus. Of course I forgot and just took the negative value.
Reply 90
Some people have been saying that 3402 was the LCM of x and y in the flowchart question.

The algorithm gave the product of x and y and not the LCM of x and y.

That was the only question where I new what to do. If you saw my previous thread, I went into the exam not remembering any of D1. Lucky I don't need it for my FM Alevel.
you know part e of the linerar programming question.. think it was part e (the last bit anyway) .. which constraint doesnt show a capacity... i got the one with r .... is tht right??... what was everyones last value for r... can anyone remember? lol
Reply 92
MiniMax
I have no idea anymore (non of my text books or resources said anything about it). We were completely confused and our class just agreed before the exam to take the modulus. Of course I forgot and just took the negative value.

I know you can't use linear programming for three variables, but as far as I understand it, in simplex, you are effectively finding the ''coordinates'' of the ''vertices'' which give you the optimal solution. If you choose a negative theta value, this will not work as it will lead to a -ve solution for that variable in the optimal row. As x,y,z are all greater than or equal to 0, this solution lies outiside the ''feasible region'' and hence you do ignore theta -ve theta values.
Reply 93
lets hope the boundary for an A is 45.lol.
Reply 94
wazzup
lets hope the boundary for an A is 45.lol.

Grade boundary for June 2004 D1 paper was 46 to get an A. If this paper was harder than that year then the grade boundary for this year will be lower than 46 (hopefully).

If this is the situation then I would expect quite a few ppl to get 100%.
Reply 95
I reckon I'm in with a good shout of 70/75 (missed out silly marks on definitions and explanations) so hopefully I will get 100UMS no problem?
Actually, the grade boundaries for D1 do seem to be quite generous. (figures out of 75 for A, B, C, D, E respectively:smile:

Jan 06: 6689 Decision Maths D1 52 46 40 34 28
Jun 05: 6689 Decision Maths D1 47 40 34 28 22
Jan 05: 6689 Decision Maths D1 50 44 38 32 26
Nov 04: 6689 Decision Maths D1 54 49 44 39 34
Jun 04: 6689 Decision Maths D1 46 40 34 28 23
Jan 04: 6689 Decision Maths D1 55 49 44 39 34
Nov 03: 6689 Decision Maths D1 51 46 41 36 32
Jun 03: 6689 Decision Maths D1 46 40 34 28 23
Jan 03: 6689 Decision Maths D1 53 47 41 35 29
Nov 02: 6689 Decision Maths D1 53 48 43 38 33
Jun 02: 6689 Decision Maths D1 52 46 40 34 28
Reply 97
Nothing like a bit of confidence lol. I dunno how easily they give out 100 UMS though? You can find what you need to get 60, 70 and 80 easily but I can't find anywhere, for any past paper where it tells you what raw marks you need for 90/100...
Reply 98
spamuo
Nothing like a bit of confidence lol. I dunno how easily they give out 100 UMS though? You can find what you need to get 60, 70 and 80 easily but I can\'t find anywhere, for any past paper where it tells you what raw marks you need for 90/100...

When you open up the grade boundaries for each year, scroll down.

http://www.school-portal.co.uk/Group...paceId=3300 6
Reply 99
Gamaya
I reckon I\'m in with a good shout of 70/75 (missed out silly marks on definitions and explanations) so hopefully I will get 100UMS no problem?

70/75 WILL get you 100UMS, i don\'t think theres been a year when to get 100UMS in D1, you needed anything more than 68/69 to get full UMS. Check my link it shows what each raw mark gives you in UMS, for previous year.

Latest