The Student Room Group

What should the legal driving age be in the UK?

Poll

What should be the UK's legal driving age?

What do you think - is 17 too young? Or too old?

If you were in charge, what would you set as the legal driving age?

Scroll to see replies

I believe that 18 is a better driving age, that being said the issue with young people on the roads can't be solved by raising the limit a bit. Other laws must be implemented like for instance mandatory new driver 1-2 year probation including rules like:

-Driving curfews
-Passenger limit
-Passenger age limit
-Engine and performance restrictions
-etc
Original post by MattFraks
I believe that 18 is a better driving age, that being said the issue with young people on the roads can't be solved by raising the limit a bit. Other laws must be implemented like for instance mandatory new driver 1-2 year probation including rules like:

-Driving curfews
-Passenger limit
-Passenger age limit
-etc

Things like engine size restrictions I can agree on. But all other three options just make things so much more inconvenient. Curfews limits all sorts of things (like work hours as well as just general everyday things) and not being able to take family and friends with you even after driving for a while is just stupid.

Personally, I would either keep it as it is, or lower it to 16 but make it so you can't take your test until 17 (or maybe 17 and 6 months). That way you might weed out some of the 17 year olds who rush through it in a few months and are driving on the roads after passing with very little experience.

Raising the driving age is just a terrible idea that would improve nothing other than massively inconveniencing loads of young people.
Reply 3
Original post by MattFraks

-Driving curfews
-Passenger limit
-Passenger age limit
-etc

Jesus Christ. How autocratic do you want to be, should a bill ever come up like that I'd oppose it to the end, blooming hell.

In answer to the OP, leave at 17 or maybe raise to 18 (merely since 17 is a weird age anyway, and everything else is 18). But doesn't really matter.
Original post by shooks
What do you think - is 17 too young? Or too old?

If you were in charge, what would you set as the legal driving age?

The issue isn't the age imo, it's the fact that any new/inexperienced driver is likely to be in an accident 17 or 23. However as some mentioned 17 is a weird age because a lot of things are either 16 or 18 lol. Only thing that makes 17 a bad age is once you pass finding insurance is mentally draining unless you're rich.
I'd say keep it at 17! When you're 18, you're more likely to be moving out of home and being much more independent. This can cause difficulties with then having to learn to drive needing someone in the car with you... Whereas at 17, you're generally at home, got parents support for driving if you need it, and gives you a good chance to pass by 18, or soon after if you're moving out and living independently.
I think 16 would be okay - some states of the US have 15 as their legal driving age requirement and they seem to be doing okay
Reply 7
Nah keep it as it is... raising it up to above 18 makes no difference anyways...as a new driver would always be inexperience no matter their age.
i think it should be 15...
who agrees

Spoiler

Original post by callum_20011
i think it should be 15...
who agrees

Spoiler

I don't necessarily think that age is going to tell you if somebody will be a good driver or not - a little kid might have excellent eye-hand co-ordination to drive in theory, but the only thing preventing them would be the highway code knowledge
Original post by BubbleBoobies
I don't necessarily think that age is going to tell you if somebody will be a good driver or not - a little kid might have excellent eye-hand co-ordination to drive in theory, but the only thing preventing them would be the highway code knowledge

i can drive... like really good. i drift around the block and race. but one day police saw and nearly got in the kiddie prison thing (ive been driving since 14)
Id say increase it to 18!
So many of the young drivers seem to be too agressive on the roads. Was nearly hit by one earlier when two roads merged into one. They were not stopping and i had to slam the brakes to avoid an incident.
Im only 18 and have 1 years worth of experience so i accept im not the best driver in the world. But i dont race around everywhere. I despise street racing and people who take unnecessary risks on the road!!
Reply 12
i can drive... like really good. i drift around the block and race. but one day police saw and nearly got in the kiddie prison thing (ive been driving since 14)

I'm sure you have... *sarcasm*

After passing nearly two months ago and having learnt since I got to 17, it's clear to me that 17 seems to be a good age with most people, any younger and most are simply too immature and make dangerous choices.
Original post by Kaneki
I'm sure you have... *sarcasm*

After passing nearly two months ago and having learnt since I got to 17, it's clear to me that 17 seems to be a good age with most people, any younger and most are simply too immature and make dangerous choices.

i generally have...
Reply 14
i generally have...

Generally or Genuinely?
Original post by Kaneki
Generally or Genuinely?

which ever... i think its genuinly
Personally I would raise it to 21
Original post by mobbsy91
I'd say keep it at 17! When you're 18, you're more likely to be moving out of home and being much more independent. This can cause difficulties with then having to learn to drive needing someone in the car with you... Whereas at 17, you're generally at home, got parents support for driving if you need it, and gives you a good chance to pass by 18, or soon after if you're moving out and living independently.

The other thing is that if you can learn at 17, most people will pass closer to or after turning 18. That means most people can get it out of the way at a time when they don't have many financial and education commitments.

Raise the driving age and people would have to do it at the same time as university or even work, which is much more difficult than doing it while you're in school doing A levels and you have more spare time.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
The other thing is that if you can learn at 17, most people will pass closer to or after turning 18. That means most people can get it out of the way at a time when they don't have many financial and education commitments.

Raise the driving age and people would have to do it at the same time as university or even work, which is much more difficult than doing it while you're in school doing A levels and you have more spare time.

Yup, would definitely agree with this!

Although, my sister's boyfriend is 28 and he hasn't even learnt yet!! :redface: I just can't imagine being that age and not being able to do, even though he does live in London... Now though, he's got no time because of work, like you said...
Drop it to 16

Quick Reply

Latest