The Student Room Group

McDonalds rejection.

Applied to two McDonalds locations that are local, and this morning I got a email advising me that they won't consider me..
I have a 2:1 degree in Computer Science

My main question is do they actually reject people who are "over-qualified", maybe thinking they will move on very quickly?.

Its quite annoying and frustrating because from what it seems like they don't look at CVs and base their judgment of you through your answers to their vapid, half-witted questionnaire.

So do any current employees know if that is the case? Where they simply reject people based on being overqualified? I simply want cash and might even put down my highest qualifications being GCSEs

EDIT: I just got a call back for a job offer at Nationwide head office.. apparently I'm good enough to work for a financial institution, but not good enough to flip burgers...
Original post by hanzo
Applied to two McDonalds locations that are local, and this morning I got a email advising me that they won't consider me..

My main question is do they actually reject people who are "over-qualified", maybe thinking they will move on very quickly?.

Its quite annoying and frustrating because from what it seems like they don't look at CVs and base their judgment of you through your answers to their vapid, half-witted questionnaire.

So do any current employees know if that is the case? Where they simply reject people based on being overqualified? I simply want cash and might even put down my highest qualifications being GCSEs

EDIT: I just got a call back for a job offer at Nationwide head office.. apparently I'm good enough to work for a financial institution, but not good enough to flip burgers...

Stupid people are better at monotonous jobs, they have less of an attitude problem and cause less problems for their superiors whilst still performing their responsibilities (flipping burgers) to the same standard as a more intelligent person.
(edited 7 years ago)
Maybe your snobbish attitude came across on the application.
Original post by hanzo

I think they may be looking for different qualities.

Fast food establishments want people who can and will follow basic instructions unquestioningly and generally put up with their ****. That is a little less likely if you have a degree, because it's a little more likely that you have options.
Reply 4
Original post by Mega0448

Original post by TimmonaPortella
I think they may be looking for different qualities.

Fast food establishments want people who can and will follow basic instructions unquestioningly and generally put up with their ****. That is a little less likely if you have a degree, because it's a little more likely that you have options.

Well as soon as I posted this thread, I re-applied to the same stores but put down my highest qualifications as being A-levels. I did not change my answers to the their questionnaire, and l got offered 2 interviews in 2 different locations the very same day I was rejected...

So it seems an automated system looks at the application not a real human being.
Original post by hanzo
Well as soon as I posted this thread, I re-applied to the same stores but put down my highest qualifications as being A-levels. I did not change my answers to the their questionnaire, and l got offered 2 interviews in 2 different locations the very same day I was rejected...

So it seems an automated system looks at the application not a real human being.

It could just as well be a human being. If it looks as though you've done nothing with your life since your A levels it might be that you appear as exactly the kind of demoralised worker they are looking for.

edit: although to be fair I got a job in a supermarket one time after talking in the interview about running a student society at Cambridge, so who knows.
Reply 6
It could just as well be a human being. If it looks as though you've done nothing with your life since your A levels it might be that you appear as exactly the kind of demoralised worker they are looking for.

edit: although to be fair I got a job in a supermarket one time after talking in the interview about running a student society at Cambridge, so who knows.

If that was the case, surely someone would notice I've made previous applications with higher qualifications? Maybe you're right, they might not check and just put them through.
Original post by SmashConcept
If you're dumb enough to put your degree on a McDonald's application then maybe chucking fries into a trough is a bit too advanced for you.

What if it's chemistry? You're like boiling things and stuff.
Original post by hanzo

It's probably more that you lack the kind of people skills they're looking for. Contrary to what the other posters on this thread are saying I work at mcdonalds and I'm halfway through a chemistry degree so they don't reject you if they perceive you as being 'too smart' because I know in other stores in my area they have Oxford students working there
Called it
Called it

*Picks up the phone*

What gave it away?
We even had a guy doing a masters in some biological/pharmacological subject once too; not to mention at the minute we have two people working here studying maths degree's
burger king took me and I'm getting a 2:1 from a RG uni
One of the perks of visiting a mcdonalds is to feel superior to the staff that work there, this is especially important when you feel like a loser for ordering an unhealthy meal. If they hired educated staff this perk for the customer would be lost.
Original post by SmashConcept
If you're dumb enough to put your degree on a McDonald's application then maybe chucking fries into a trough is a bit too advanced for you.

#brutal #rekt #nohalfmeasures
Original post by mmquicksand
One of the perks of visiting a mcdonalds is to feel superior to the staff that work there, this is especially important when you feel like a loser for ordering an unhealthy meal. If they hired educated staff this perk for the customer would be lost.

This is not the case anymore, as now even people with PHDs in some STEM subject work there! Gone are the days when Mcdonalds was a place of work for people without GCSEs lmao
Original post by hanzo

The unthinkable has happened

can someone be so stupid as to get rejected by mcdonalds to flip burgers???

(not OP)
Original post by Mega0448

If you have a degree, and Mcdonald's is rejecting you, you are allowed to have a snobby attitude idc.
Original post by _icecream
This is not the case anymore, as now even people with PHDs in some STEM subject work there!

I had to have a chuckle at the thought of being served McDonald's by someone with 'Dr' on their name badge :giggle:
they hire university students no problem because they know its likely they'll get 2-3 years of part time work from them, as you've already graduated though youre over qualified and its likely youll be there a maximum of a few months before you ditch them and find something better so itd be a waste of their resources to train you just for you to leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending