The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Postgraduate Study at Leeds

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to start a thread to invite anyone who is holding an offer, in the application process or still considering applying to Leeds to join in, introduce yourselves, ask questions and chat!

I'm Amanda and I work in the Student Recruitment team at the University of Leeds - I look after all things postgraduate (both masters courses and research/PhD opportunities).

If you need advice on applying, accommodation, funding, student life or anything else you can think of, ask away!

Amanda

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I am a UK student starting in September and am looking for private accommodation as I'm not guaranteed university accommodation. Which private halls would you recommend for postgraduates? At the moment I'm looking at 'Triangle' or 'My student village'.

Any advice would be great.

Rajul
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by ras29
Hi,

I am a UK student starting in September and am looking for private accommodation as I'm not guaranteed university accommodation. Which private halls would you recommend for postgraduates? At the moment I'm looking at 'Triangle' or 'My student village'.

Any advice would be great.

Rajul

Hi Rajul

Thanks for your question. I don't have any specific recommendations, but would definitely suggest that you take a look at the Unipol website. https://www.unipol.org.uk/home

"Unipol run several Codes for student accommodation which aim to ensure that providers go substantially beyond their legal minimum requirements in providing good quality, safe and well managed housing."

Amanda
Hello!

I've applied for a Masters at the Business School and just wondering how long it will approximately be before I get to hear back?

Thanks.
Hi Hannah Louise!

The business school are usually very quick at turning around offers, usually within 7-10 days. If you applied online you should be able to check the status of your application in the portal.

Good luck!
Amanda
I'll start my master's at Univ of Leeds this September. I found that SM Properties are renting a room at Archery Rd, which is very close to the Univ. Is SM Properties a good Landlord? Anyone know sth about this place? Thank you
Reply 6
Hi Amanda,

What opportunities are available for postgraduate students who are looking to learn a second language?
Reply 7
I applied for a taught master's degree at the School of Philosophy, Religion, and History of science. :smile:
Original post by lma25
Hi Amanda,

What opportunities are available for postgraduate students who are looking to learn a second language?

Hi - thanks for your question!

Our Language Centre is located in the Parkinson Building, and offers a wide range of resources fro learning other languages. Whilst we run a programme for undergraduate students to study a second language as part of their degree (credit bearing modules), we're not able to offer this to postgraduates - as all your module allowance is taken up with your subject. However, if there are any spaces left on a language course, postgraduates are welcome to attend, there is a fee for this. You can read more online at: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/arts/info/125251/languages_for_a

BUT - the language centre does have a fantastic learning resource centre that is free to use, and all students and staff are welcome to learn languages independently through the centre: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/arts/info/124995/learning_facilities

I hope that's useful :smile:

Amanda
Hi I'm Ashley from the US. I accepted my offer from Leeds for international communication awhile ago. Just getting my transcript together.

Anyways anyone else in my program? I am looking forward to it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I am Cathy from China.Nice to meet you guys here.My course is management in business school.I have been working for years in cultural and entertainment industry.So for me it's a bold and hard move to study abroad and back to campus again. I am already in Leeds and really hoping to meet more local or ppl from different backgrounds and countries and spend lovely time together.Hopefully can meet more friends here and share more in common.

If you like music,film,travel and explore new things together .You are welcome to talk to me or ask me any questions that I may help.

Cheers

Btw,Amanda is an extremely nice person who will make you feel very welcomed. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by tim79
I applied for a taught master's degree at the School of Philosophy, Religion, and History of science. :smile:

Well, the School of PRHS looked at my application today and forwarded it to the Central Student Administration office and recommended me for the programme I applied for. Very happy so far, hope they will send me the offer letter as this was a pre PGT offer letter.:h:
Reply 12
Original post by CathyZhang
Hi I am Cathy from China.Nice to meet you guys here.My course is management in business school.I have been working for years in cultural and entertainment industry.So for me it's a bold and hard move to study abroad and back to campus again. I am already in Leeds and really hoping to meet more local or ppl from different backgrounds and countries and spend lovely time together.Hopefully can meet more friends here and share more in common.

If you like music,film,travel and explore new things together .You are welcome to talk to me or ask me any questions that I may help.

Cheers

Btw,Amanda is an extremely nice person who will make you feel very welcomed. :smile:

Good luck. :h:
Hi Amanda,

Do you know how long the law school takes to look at postgraduate taught applications?

Many thanks.

Original post by University of Leeds
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to start a thread to invite anyone who is holding an offer, in the application process or still considering applying to Leeds to join in, introduce yourselves, ask questions and chat!

I'm Amanda and I work in the Student Recruitment team at the University of Leeds - I look after all things postgraduate (both masters courses and research/PhD opportunities).

If you need advice on applying, accommodation, funding, student life or anything else you can think of, ask away!

Amanda
Reply 14
hi
i have an offer to the course Postcolonial Literary and Cultural Studies MA. is there any means of fund that i can apply to?
Hi,

I applied to the MA Advertising and Marketing in October/November 2016 for entry in 2017, any idea how long it will take to get a response?
Hello,

I am thinking of applying for the 2017 MSc/MRes in Ecology and Biodiversity. Are there any Open Days or other opportunities to visit the University and Department in the near future? Thanks
Reply 17
Original post by University of Leeds
Hi Everyone,

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

I already have an offer and I applied for a commonwealth shared scholarship and I just wanted to know when Leeds usually informs applicants about their decisions.

Thanks for your help!
Original post by Shridam
Hi Amanda,

I already have an offer and I applied for a commonwealth shared scholarship and I just wanted to know when Leeds usually informs applicants about their decisions.

Thanks for your help!

Hi. Were you nominated? I'm a reserve, was notified April 7th
Hi Amanda and hi everyone!

I'm Anastasia and I have accepted a PhD offer in English (I'm so happy!). I'll move to Leeds with my boyfriend in September and we are looking fo an accommodation for couples, either a double ensuite bedroom or a cheap studio. However, my boyfriend won't be a student and he'll look for a job. Do you have any advice? Where shall we look for a place to stay? The majority of accommodations are just for students.

Thank for your help! Looking forward to September

Anastasia

Quick Reply

Latest