The Student Room Group

I'm confused about my offer

So Derby have offered me a conditional offer to do Adult nursing and it says this in the condition section:

'Plus satisfactory work experience in a relevant field'

I called them and they didn't seem to be concerned and said if I've discussed my experience at interview stage and put it down on my application - which I did, then it's fine and not to worry. However I'd emailed them before I'd called and they have since replied with:

Satisfactory work experience is usually dependent on the rest of your application, as some applicants will require more work experience than others. It’s not something that we can quantify, however if you do have the opportunity to gain any more work experience, I would recommend that you do so. The fact that it has been listed in your conditions implies that your offer may be dependent on you gaining additional experience.

So this kinda contradicts what I was told on the phone. I'm going to have to call back aren't I?

Surely they have to give me an actual answer so I can meet my conditions. I don't want to lose my place!!
Original post by Conker25
So Derby have offered me a conditional offer to do Adult nursing and it says this in the condition section:

'Plus satisfactory work experience in a relevant field'

I called them and they didn't seem to be concerned and said if I've discussed my experience at interview stage and put it down on my application - which I did, then it's fine and not to worry. However I'd emailed them before I'd called and they have since replied with:

Satisfactory work experience is usually dependent on the rest of your application, as some applicants will require more work experience than others. It’s not something that we can quantify, however if you do have the opportunity to gain any more work experience, I would recommend that you do so. The fact that it has been listed in your conditions implies that your offer may be dependent on you gaining additional experience.

So this kinda contradicts what I was told on the phone. I'm going to have to call back aren't I?

Surely they have to give me an actual answer so I can meet my conditions. I don't want to lose my place!!

Firstly, that's a bit strange. If you've already done a fair bit of work experience you probably have nothing to worry about, but if I were you I'd want to check just to be on the safe side.

I'd recommend phoning up for clarification and getting this person to email you what they've told you so that you have a copy in writing. Explain to them that you've been told two different things and that you absolutely need to know whether you need additional work experience so you can get something organised sooner rather than later. If you do need more experience, make sure you get them to review your application and find out exactly how much you need, again, getting it in writing in case you have any issues.

Make sure you're firm with them, admissions teams love sending out generic and unhelpful emails like the one you've received. If you're getting nowhere, ask for this to be escalated etc. until you get a proper answer.
Think you are making too much of it , but by all means ring them.

You have an offer and they have given you an insight. Presumably you have talked about your work xperience at interview and they were satisfied.

The second response may not even have been by the same person, but approaches it from all experience is baluable, so if you cna get some , then do so. Its entirely within your hands. get some more and then everyone will be happy. Its slightly ambiguous, but not contradictory imo.
Sounds like it might be a standard thing since work experience is essential in all the healthcare fields. Who did you email? Have you got a specific contact in the nursing team you can ask?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending