Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Current Affairs RAF OASC Interview

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hi Guys,

I find this part of the Interview the hardest as I am always unsure of what topics would be suitable to use and revise for the final section of the interview. I'm not looking to be spoon fed here I'm just looking to give myself the best possible chance of succeeding by trying to improve on an area which I know I have previously been weak in.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

By the way my OASC board is 24th May! If anybody else is on the same board then send me a message

The rule of thumb is 5 domestic topics, 5 international topics. Know what's going on, what your viewpoint is - and why - and why you thought it was something to mention. In the case of the international ones, have an idea about why the RAF might be interested.

Try to know each of them in detail, use more than one source to find out about them.

Whatever you chose, have an opinion on those subjects that you can justify.

Read some broadsheets and a magazine like the Economist. Current hot topics, include Brexit, Refugee Crisis, Panama papers and Tax avoidance, Zika Virus and Olympics in Brazil, Government spying. Make sure you read the editorials and opinions. It's good to know both sides of the arguments but you need to justify your position.

Fantastic magazine to read is 'The Week'.

It recaps the past 7 days' most important stories from the UK, and has great insights into the arguments.

Also, the RAF newspaper, speaks for itself.

I have just been on OASC and chose the following:

UK: EU Referendum, Migrant Crisis, IndyRef 2 in Scotland, Treatment of junior doctors, UK Steel

International: POTUS Elections, Zika virus, gun laws in the US, ISIS, North korea's rocket/nuclear tests

BBC news is obviously good for these but look to respected newspapers for those extra nuggets of information.

I was asked about IndyRef 2 and POTUS Elections. Do learn all the topics in plenty of detail and state your opinion on them. The interviewer will play devils advocate and you simply need to argue your case. If there is an ongoing issue which you have a strong opinion on or feel passionately about, definitely bring that up (as a Scot, I was lucky with IndyRef 2).
    I think that the level of difficulty depends on the interviewer. Other people told me that they are at your throat for opinions and back up facts and I went into the interview under this impression. Instead I felt that I wasn't pushed too hard for information and opinions. It was more like a conversation - albeit an opinionated one! This may have been a freak one-off but my advice is to learn all the topics inside and out so that it is you giving the interviewer a hard time! You will earn bonus points for this!

If you need to know anything else about the OASC process, let me know. It's all fresh in my mind and I have written up a bit of a thesis to help others know what to expect.

Best of luck!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?
Useful resources

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.