The Student Room Group

Which A-lvl Subject?

For A-Level I am studying:

Maths
Computing
Physics
ICT
General Studies

I didn't have the choice to do general studies by the way...

However, I feel like replacing ICT with a different subject as it is apparantly a 'mickey mouse' subject and so it would be pointless to take it as an A in it wouldn't show much anyway. Well so I hear...

I was just wondering if you think I should keep my original decision or change to another subject out of the following:

Phychology, Law, or buisness studies.

Some advice would be nice, thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 1
siliviax

Maths
Computing
Physics
ICT
General Studies

However, I feel like replacing ICT with a different subject as it is apparantly a 'mickey mouse' subject and so it would be pointless to take it as an A in it wouldn't show much anyway. Well so I hear...

I was just wondering if you think I should keep my original decision or change to another subject out of the following:

Electronics (if available to you) would complement computing, maths and physics very nicely (I do all 4 of them too :biggrin: ). Other than that I think that AS F.Maths is always good. If you looking for a subject to contrast nicely with your sciences then maybe History. People see to like Law but I've never really found it appealing. :smile:
Reply 2
I would love to do french!! but its not available at my college :frown:

I would do D.T resistant materials as I prob got an A or A* in it, but I don't like it enough to do it for another 2 years :tongue:
Reply 3
siliviax
I would love to do french!! but its not available at my college :frown:

I would do D.T resistant materials as I prob got an A or A* in it, but I don't like it enough to do it for another 2 years :tongue:

Have you considered doing an AS in D&T and then dropping it and concentrating of your other subjects (as someone doing 5 A2's and an AS I thoroughly reccomend a light workloads)!!!
Reply 4
I'd be doing 4 A2's and 1 AS .. not 5 A2's :P
Reply 5
siliviax
I'd be doing 4 A2's and 1 AS .. not 5 A2's :P

Still that is a fair workload (I was talking about myself in the previous post)!!! :smile:
Reply 6
A/S Law is quite fun.
Reply 7
siliviax

Maths
Computing
Physics
ICT
General Studies

This depends on what you are going to be studying next yr....So u should check with universities what AS/A2 subjects they prefer.
AS further Maths is a very well respected AS.
If ur droping ICT because its a mikey mouse subject then dont do Law or Business studies as most unis e.g. LSE don't consider them as "TRADITIONAL SUBJECTS".
Phychology is fine.
Reply 8
siliviax

Maths
Computing
Physics
ICT
General Studies

Psychology all the way! Respected as an academic discipline & it provides a nice contrast to some of your other subjects. Let's face it, IT is related to computing (and is considered a joke at my school), Business studies is the poor man's economics - do Psychology for the most advantageous combination (in terms of application to a strongly academic course).
Reply 9
but isn't phychology extremely diffucult? Well thats what i hear...

I was intrested in doing the subject but i'm not too sure no more since what people have been saying about it...
Reply 10
siliviax

I was intrested in doing the subject but i'm not too sure no more since what people have been saying about it...

Some of my mates who do Psychology say is the most boring subject ever.
Reply 11
HamaL
This depends on what you are going to be studying next yr....So u should check with universities what AS/A2 subjects they prefer.
AS further Maths is a very well respected AS.
If ur droping ICT because its a mikey mouse subject then dont do Law or Business studies as most unis e.g. LSE don't consider them as "TRADITIONAL SUBJECTS".
Phychology is fine.

How can Law be classed as a Mickey mouse subject, it has a use at least.
is the ICT a vocational course?
XXXNICEGUYXXX
is the ICT a vocational course?

The VCE is; the GCE isn't.
Reply 14
siliviax

It's not difficult if you can remember information and can string together an essay.

It can be interesting too - ask someone in the year above how they find it, or see if they have any text books in the library on it.

Latest

Trending

Trending