Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

LGBT scene at Durham?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

(Original post by Venusian Visitor)
    Amazed at all the douchebags in this thread. I can understand wanting an LGBT scene because you know only gays will want to do gay things with you.
    What are 'gay things'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Moonstruck16)
    What are 'gay things'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    gay sex

I decided on Bristol because there's more social stuff in general there too. Good luck at Durham if you go though!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi OP,

I'm lesbian and also strongly considering going to Durham this year, the LGBT scene worries me aswell though. However, the train to Newcastle is only 15 mins and apparently there are quite a few gay clubs there. What college is your offer for?

(Original post by FyrienO)
    So I know that Durham has no LGBT public spaces like bars and cafes etc, and I've also heard that the LGBT society is mainly composed of guys (I'm a girl) and I'm kind of considering another uni because of this, like Bristol, or I might take a year out and apply somewhere else. I know that Newcastle is only a train hop away but Durham feels quite restricted in terms of LGBT stuff, is all of this true? And does anyone know some unis with a cracking LGBT scene (I've heard Sussex is good) because I really want to meet some LGBT people do you think switching unis is the right choice? I feel like I'll be sad if there's few LGBT girls i can talk to and no spaces to go to meet people.
    Hello. I'm from Argentina and I'm considering applying for Durham. I've never been in the UK and I can't speak about how is being from the LGBT community there but I can speak about how is it here. In my school I didn't have a LGBT society or anything like that but I still got LGBT friends. You just manage to start knowing people from your same sexuality. And even those who aren't in anyway gay end up being great friends. I don't think you should choose your university accordingly to how many LGBt people are or how many LGBT places. You don't need that to find LGBT friends. Believe me, you don't.
    Anyway, I hope you find a place that satifies you in that matter but never stop thinking about what's really important for you at the time you start a university. It will afect your future so...
    Good luck!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.