The Student Room Group

Need help/advice about how to prepare myself for applying to American uni

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi,

I'm also thinking about applying for American Uni's and this is what i've done thus far

- Taken the SAT --> I advise you to look at both the SAT and ACT and apply to one or the other, most unis will require these and MAYBE 2 SAT subject tests. Its about £60 register and I think the next date is June but you won't have enough time to prep so probably book the October one and practice using Khan Academy (which is free and has lots of personalised help)

- Made a list of 6 Uni's I will apply to --> This took me AGES. I basically used bigfuture.collegeboard.org to apply a filter of my preferences (public/private, location etc..) and it gives you 100% matches, and so on
After I saw a Uni i liked, I went onto colleges.niche.com and other student review sites to get a general feel about the school, Also visited the website of course and checked for their core requirements, classes offered and majors.

I had a list of about 20 schools but narrowed it down to 6 by prioritising the things most important for me. I suggest you look at how much financial aid they give to international students
I also looked at the admissions requirements, as some may want subject tests or the SAT with essay etc.

Is money an issue? Or are your parents willing to spend $60,000 a year?

I'm not sure what else to write, as I'm not sure where you are in terms of your preparation.
Hope this was slightly helpful.
Reply 2
Original post by froa98
Hi,

I'm also thinking about applying for American Uni's and this is what i've done thus far

- Taken the SAT --> I advise you to look at both the SAT and ACT and apply to one or the other, most unis will require these and MAYBE 2 SAT subject tests. Its about £60 register and I think the next date is June but you won't have enough time to prep so probably book the October one and practice using Khan Academy (which is free and has lots of personalised help)

- Made a list of 6 Uni's I will apply to --> This took me AGES. I basically used bigfuture.collegeboard.org to apply a filter of my preferences (public/private, location etc..) and it gives you 100% matches, and so on
After I saw a Uni i liked, I went onto colleges.niche.com and other student review sites to get a general feel about the school, Also visited the website of course and checked for their core requirements, classes offered and majors.

I had a list of about 20 schools but narrowed it down to 6 by prioritising the things most important for me. I suggest you look at how much financial aid they give to international students
I also looked at the admissions requirements, as some may want subject tests or the SAT with essay etc.

Is money an issue? Or are your parents willing to spend $60,000 a year?

I'm not sure what else to write, as I'm not sure where you are in terms of your preparation.
Hope this was slightly helpful.
Only just seen this,, Thanks for the Advice, Appreciate it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending