Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

At which point to I get to say I am an independent student?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I'm 24 at the start of term and have worked for well over the 3 year self supported independent criteria. However I live at home and it still wanted me to enter my parents details for them to send their information.

    No where in the application did I see an independent student option or a 3 year self supported option.

    Have I gone wrong somewhere, or does the part I need come later on in an email or something?

    ask student finance, they dont bite

    There isn't a part on student finance online, you will need to call and speak to them.

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    (Original post by lozzielizzie)
    There isn't a part on student finance online, you will need to call and speak to them.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's on the paper form: http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/ft/s...orm_1617_d.pdf
    Section 7 question c (page 18)
    "Have you supported yourself financiallyfor a total of three years or more beforethe start of the first academic year ofyour course?"
    "If ‘Yes’, you may be considered an independent student. Please give details below."
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.