The Student Room Group

equilibrium question

smaller volume means increased pressure - since the moles of reactants and products are equal on each side then any change in pressure should not effect equilibrium so i picked the answer as a) which is no visible change... why is the answer D!!! (the mixture goes purple ) so equilbrium shifts to thr right?? why

if i think of it in another way less volume will increase the tempreture so this will shift equlibrium to the left and its B so still not D ugh :frown:

can somone pls explain ..thanks x
Original post by pondsteps
smaller volume means increased pressure - since the moles of reactants and products are equal on each side then any change in pressure should not effect equilibrium so i picked the answer as a) which is no visible change... why is the answer D!!! (the mixture goes purple ) so equilbrium shifts to thr right?? why

if i think of it in another way less volume will increase the tempreture so this will shift equlibrium to the left and its B so still not D ugh :frown:

can somone pls explain ..thanks x

You're overthinking this one. Put the same number of moles of a coloured gas in a smaller volume and it will look darker.
Equilibrium doesn't shift, the iodine is just more concentrated.
Original post by TeachChemistry
Equilibrium doesn't shift, the iodine is just more concentrated.

ohhh!! thank youuuu

Quick Reply

Latest