Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Burst into tears at the thought of my job

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I'm feeling very down right now, having moved to another region of the UK to be with my other half. Yesterday, I burst out into tears at her, having worked nearly two weeks worth of shifts in my new job. I hate it, it's stressful, high pressured food service work.

I think the reason I'm more upset is because I've risked a lot to be with her, I'm homesick, miss the familiarity and family back home. What's more, I didn't really intend to ever go into this line of work, having gone to university and graduated, however, I did it so I could relocate quicker to be with her sooner- having gone long distance for some time. I was unable to find work in my field due to my inexperience, which is relative to many young grads all over.

It never was a long term solution, but a money making answer to pay bills. Despite this thought, I just can't stomach the thought of going to work in the mornings, even the few hours, or day or two spent with her in between doesn't justify it. I get that dreaded blues feeling I got as a kid on a Sunday evening before school on Monday morning. Destroys me.

I know I'm not going to be here forever, but there again I feel like my degree area is pretty competitive and I feel I've lost out to other graduates in my field due to my ability.

Thing is, I'm in this job until I can find another one (trapped); ideally a grad role in Graphic Design, however, I don't feel my abilities outshine the thousands of others in this country and internationally. It's oversautrated, and I don't really have any secondary "hard skills" to offer. My actual degree was design based but more digital focussed, however that doesn't differentiate me from others.

I feel you, OP.

I thankfully managed to get a decent job which has a good hourly rate but not enough hours. Other jobs require experience and skills which I don't have, but I'm learning the software packages so I can meet those requirements.

I'd suggest that you look at what employers require for your dream job and work towards meeting those requirements.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What were/are your predicted grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.