Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PYA4: How much you can write in a 24 mark/30mins essay

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find that even when I have learnt all the studies for a topic, I practice an exam question and still only manage to write about 2 sides of A4 in the time given.

I know it's about quality not quantity, but can 2 pages have enough information for an A?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pages or sides? I tend to write 3 sides for a decent A in PYA4, and 4 for a decent A in PYA5.

But as you said, it isn't quantity, it's quality. It also depends how big (or small) your handwriting is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hev456)
    Pages or sides? I tend to write 3 sides for a decent A in PYA4, and 4 for a decent A in PYA5.

But as you said, it isn't quantity, it's quality. It also depends how big (or small) your handwriting is.

Jesus you write a lot!

For PYA4 you get roughly 30 mins a question and i always write around about 2 sides of A4. Ive done about 6 essays for my teacher all roughly the same length and ive got 20 odd on nearly them all. 23/24 on one, so id say about 2 sides is normal.

How you can write 3 sides in 30 mins is beyond me! lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan_forest)
    Jesus you write a lot!

For PYA4 you get roughly 30 mins a question and i always write around about 2 sides of A4. Ive done about 6 essays for my teacher all roughly the same length and ive got 20 odd on nearly them all. 23/24 on one, so id say about 2 sides is normal.

How you can write 3 sides in 30 mins is beyond me! lol
    Aye, my wrist is killing me by the end of it, and i've got to write 3 next tuesday :eek:

I would love to read one of your essays, just to see how you condense it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hev456)
    Aye, my wrist is killing me by the end of it, and i've got to write 3 next tuesday :eek:

I would love to read one of your essays, just to see how you condense it.

I dont think i could physically write 3 sides in 30 mins X3 especially when your needing to think about what to put as well.
    I always read over mine time and time again as im writing it for some reason. On the one i got 23/24 on it was about psychological theories of aggression and i wrote about 4 lines over 2 pages. But on most i dont even do 2 pages, i always seem to be about 3/4 lines off completing the second page.

All of my essays are hand written otherwise i would have sent you one to have a look at.
    You've actually made me think now if my teacher knows what shes doing when shes marking it! lol

Whats the guidline roughly for a 24 mark essay? I always seem to do about 500 words roughly.

Also how many words do you fit on a line? I usually get about 9 roughly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just checked my text book and on most questions it says a "good answer" would have around 600 words. Well im falling a little short of that.
    Maybe my teacher is being a little generous with the marks.??

Ah well so long as i can achieve at least 18 in each of the 3 questions ill end up with an A on the paper.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan_forest)
    I just checked my text book and on most questions it says a "good answer" would have around 600 words. Well im falling a little short of that.
    Maybe my teacher is being a little generous with the marks.??

Ah well so long as i can achieve at least 18 in each of the 3 questions ill end up with an A on the paper.
    I know 17/18 is the borderline for an A, doesn't seem that much but when i write 3 sides and still only get about 18/19 it makes me wonder if my teacher is the one being a little harsh, rather than yours being soft.

I also tend to get about 8-9 words on a line as well, should be interesting to see how we both do won't it? Only thing i'm worried about is time, oh and remembering everything of course.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did the exam in Jan and got a good mark and only did one-and-a-quarter to one-and-a-half sides per essay. Depends how concise you are I think.

I have about 10-12 words per line.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I write actually loads in the exam.. I think in Jan for PYA4 i finished the 12pg answer booklet.. I don't usually think in my exams about what to write..because all the questions are usually the same type so i plan them and then know what to write in the exam!

I read you're meant to be able to do 800 words in 40mins
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    finished a 12 page answer booklet in 30 mins :O
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I probably write about 2 and a half pages for each Q, depends on how much I know about it!! I didn't write a lot in Jan but still got 77/90 so hopefully I'll get a similar mark for the one in 13 days.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For PYA4 in january I didn't even do a complete page for each question, completely thought I'd failed. Results in spring.. A. Ridiculous, I just hope I'm that lucky for PYA5.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    WTF, that is mad, you got an A without doing a full page for each question! Are you being serious? Your writing must be really small!

For my 3 essays on tuesday, one was around 2 nd half pages and the other 2 were around 2 pages. So lets see what i get!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    for unit 5 im writing about 700 words. About 3 pages or 4. Hopefully ill be ok i fit like 7-8 words on a line.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For PYA5 ill probably do about 3 pages each question.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I remember having a dizzy moment in my AS exam where I thought I had to answer all the questions on the entire paper (including the ones that we werent studying:rolleyes: )

Anyways I got in a panic and only spent quarter of the time answering and wrote only 3/4 for an 18 marker and I still got a B. Im not sure it really matters exept if you have no idea about a question. I think thats why they advise you to write loads.

If you know your ****** you can get away with stating your case confidently and bluntly .

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 16, 2007
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.