Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

HIS3G -- British State and People, 1865-1915 AQA A2 June 2016

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

opening the paper to see that ireland question made my day! it was definitely a lot easier than last year, which was great for my stress levels but means the UMS will probably be quite harsh :/

I genuinely wrote something very similar to this! I reckon the grade boundaries will be high though.

(Original post by PLJohn)
    Yeah, I think it's a general consensus that the Economy is not a good topic. My only issue with time frames was I didn't really know anything for 1896-1901 for the economy other than the Boer War.
    1901 as the end date put me right off the question- we've only been taught 1873-96, so I wouldn't really have much to write about for the end.

(Original post by lappy482)
    1901 as the end date put me right off the question- we've only been taught 1873-96, so I wouldn't really have much to write about for the end.
    Hopefully it was just to throw us off and it wanted us to mainly focus on 73-96...

Hi, I'm really worried about my answers :-/

For the first Ireland question I answered that Gladstone had failed because he hadn't passed home rule and ultimately had split the party and there was still religious divide and violence in Ireland I also used a few historical quotes.

For the 2nd question I put that some reforms didn't go far enough eg old age pensions and the school meals act but I said overall it was a success because it was the biggest movement towards a welfare state in this period and that it really did aim at helping the working classes and used a few historical quotes.

Do you think these answers will be ok? :-/ I'm thinking the grade boundaries will be really high so it'll be hard to get an A :-/

Heres what i put for the answers:

1. WEG 1 ministry - church success, but main greivance of land failed - limitations to land act
    2. WEG 2 ministry - land addressed but coercion unseats them and cries for home rule
    3. Home rule - lib party split - failure
    4. Home rule - tory at fault - orange card
    5. Disraeli vs gladstone - BD didnt do anything to pacify ireland

Conclusion - ultimately fsils to pacify ireland - historians claim salisbury pacifird in medium term not gladstone

1. Children - better conditions - national efficiency and booth etc
    2. Health - national insurance limited success
    3. Labour laws - restructure labour market - collectivism helps better conditions + trade unions better off
    4. People budget 1909 - builds on harcourt 1895 budget - redistribution vs gladstone who wanted to abolish taxation
    5. Limitations - parliament act - no reforms post 1911 + irish situation
    Conclusion - ultimately did more than anyone in the era to help conditions of working class - national efficiency and positive freedom and increasingly collectivist movement, but far off welfare state + women no rights until 1918, nonetheless quite successful

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 19, 2016
TSR Support Team
Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.