The Student Room Group

STOP blaming immigrants for your failings

Scroll to see replies

I totally agree
Reply 61
Original post by sfaraj
i live in south west london- sutton so i would have no idea what kind of people live in bradford- an immigration is not a bruden:
-Benefits are for those who cannot live like others easily due to medical or financial reasons and should not be bashed on or disliked on because of how they are, and i know they could go job centre, so they could consider that but they could be a career for a disabled person or themselves have a medical condition that means it is difficult for them to work, also there are many other factors that are the reason they could not get a job but you may or ma not know of them, i dont suppose you go around interviewing immigrants on benefits
-Immigrants also contribute to the economy because when immigrants come in, for those who take on work, usually they take on the lower jobs such as factory workers, farmers, cleaners etc so no matter what the contribute
-You could earn benefits as well as having a job
-Immigrants go on to having children who get an education which means they go on to working and helping the economy as well

immigrants deserve just as good of a life as us, the state of their country of origin could not be controlled by the mere hands of the emmigrants,

if the uk wants to stop immigration, then make them elect trump as PM and get over it

You seem to have little knowledge of how the economy, taxation, or immigration work.

Original post by sfaraj
immigration is not a bruden:

It is a burden:

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Josb
You seem to have little knowledge of how the economy, taxation, or immigration work.

It is a burden:

The graph shows immigrants are doing better than natives.
Reply 63
Original post by Maker
The graph shows immigrants are doing better than natives.

...but are still a burden overall when they come from outside the EEA.
Original post by Josb
Because you have far more immigrants who do not go to the UK for work. The positive contribution made by a immigrant doctor is nullified by a dozen of worthless immigrants that have entered the country at the same time.

If you had read properly what I wrote, you would have seen that I said "Only those who can make a positive contribution to the country should be accepted". Doctors and businessmen are welcome.

It has nothing to do with what the graph shows. Immigrants may be less likely to claim benefits, but it doesn't mean that they pay more taxes. Most of them just live there in council estates, they don't work, or on **** jobs, so they contribute very little to the economy. Hence why non-EU immigration is a burden overall.

Those that are of use too you, but not those who have fled war or come from countries where they are physically unable to live, okay lol. I really wish EVERY single immigrant packed their bag and left, only then will this country realise what a mess it is without immigration.

Your last point just highlights your stupidity (infact i just went on your profile and if your age is correct it probably illustrates why you are so offended by immigration). However i will answer you last point; If immigrants are NOT claiming benefits then surely they must be working too keep themselves alive and thus contributing to the economy. Also you do realise the natives on benefits are far worse for the economy then a immigrant who does not claim but washes car for example for £5. Also stop degrading jobs and saying that they all live in council flats. The ones who do only came here a few years ago and work hard. What is the excuse for the natives who have been living in them for years since living in council flats is so bad????

You support someone like Donald Trump i could only pity your education and upbringing, your ignorance astounds me. In fact i would probably not be far off by assuming an immigrant has taken your job and this is why you are so defensive.
Reply 65
Original post by Josb

Are you reading the graph right, the non EEA line is above the native line showing the non EEA is doing better than the natives.

You are also forgetting natives have consumed a lot of education and healthcare costs that recent immigrants have not so the graph is a bit misleading. If you take those factors into account, the immigrants are contributing a lot more than the graphs indicate.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think all immigrants should be treated with common respect and decency. They're still human beings and it's not like they've come here out of malice; if you don't like them being in the country, it's the politicans you should take your anger out on. Just my 2 cents.
Reply 67
Original post by Maker
Are you reading the graph right, the non EEA line is above the native line showing the non EEA is doing better than the natives.

I read the graph right. The fact that non-EEA immigrants do better than natives overall doesn't negate the fact that they still cost more than what they contribute. They are below the grey "1.0" line.
Original post by Josb
I read the graph right. The fact that non-EEA immigrants do better than natives overall doesn't negate the fact that they still cost more than what they contribute. They are below the grey "1.0" line.

So are the natives, are you illiterate????
I'm not against immigration as a whole as I believe that where you are born should determine what you are able to do, however we need to prevent people from immigrating to the UK to claim benefits and send the money back to their own country.
Original post by Reue
I suggest you try taking a drive down the M4, or apply for social housing, or try getting your kids into local schools, or attend any number of A&E departments and try saying that with a straight face.

Immigration isnt just about jobs and benefits.

fam my family were immigrants, me and my sister go to local schools with no admission problems, we are born british, my family got a house easily, ive been to A&E countless times

now A&E is not a problem caused by immigrants, the NHS itself is on its last 2 legs, and you cant deal with the fact people need medical attention too, the whole world does not revolve around non-immigrants 100% white british people for Gods sake, 75% of my school come from immigrated family

so far as im concerned i have said this all with a straight face :/
Reply 71
Original post by TSRFT8
So are the natives, are you illiterate????

Yes, the natives cost a lot more than what they pay in taxes. I have never contested that fact.

But again, this is not a reason to admit migrants who will not make a positive contribution to the economy, and therefore aggravate the deficit.
Original post by Josb

Not a valid reason, it is not justified it is simply an opinion

@Maker you have defeated Josb, i bow down to you
Reply 73
Original post by Josb

You are reading things a bit narrowly. Someone who pays less in taxes than benefits doesn't mean they are a liability. The reason is they still earn money that is spent in the economy. For example, if they earn £15,000 pa and pay £5000 tax and get £6000 in benefits, they have £16,000 to spend in the economy. The money spent pays indirect taxes such as VAT and duty such as on tobacco and alcohol. The money spent also employs people, pays for the NHS and other public services and keeps companies in business.

If they were not in the UK, the UK economy would loss £9,000 a year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
Yes, the natives cost a lot more than what they pay in taxes. I have never contested that fact.

But again, this is not a reason to admit migrants who will not make a positive contribution to the economy, and therefore aggravate the deficit.

Take a deep breath, have a glass of water and just re-read what you have wrote.

The migrants are by your own graph making a better contribution than the natives, HOW can they be the ones aggravating the deficit when you admit the natives cost more.

This is what education is like for Donald Trump supporters.

EDIT: You also failed to reply to what i previously said to you, so im assuming i was right.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 75
oh boy
Reply 76
Original post by TSRFT8
Those that are of use too you, but not those who have fled war or come from countries where they are physically unable to live, okay lol.

Your thread was about the positive contribution made by immigrants to the economy. Why are you switching the subject to war refugees?

Original post by TSRFT8
I really wish EVERY single immigrant packed their bag and left, only then will this country realise what a mess it is without immigration.

Again, you are grossly distorting my point. I said that not all immigrants are worth the same. Some make a positive contribution, some don't.

Original post by TSRFT8
Your last point just highlights your stupidity (infact i just went on your profile and if your age is correct it probably illustrates why you are so offended by immigration). However i will answer you last point; If immigrants are NOT claiming benefits then surely they must be working too keep themselves alive and thus contributing to the economy. Also you do realise the natives on benefits are far worse for the economy then a immigrant who does not claim but washes car for example for £5. Also stop degrading jobs and saying that they all live in council flats. The ones who do only came here a few years ago and work hard. What is the excuse for the natives who have been living in them for years since living in council flats is so bad????

Insults, I see.

You have substantial differences between migrants. Some do not want to claim benefits because they don't want to be a burden, others do not have such consideration. Overall, the former outnumber the latter.

I already said that native scroungers are terrible. We have to deal/cope with them. That's a fact. But it's not a reason to import more of similar people.

Original post by TSRFT8
You support someone like Donald Trump i could only pity your education and upbringing, your ignorance astounds me. In fact i would probably not be far off by assuming an immigrant has taken your job and this is why you are so defensive.

I have two master's degrees with distinction and I hold an offer for a PhD at Oxford. I don't need you to pity my education and upbringing.

I am also an immigrant on a high-paid job in the UK. I have paid about £500 of taxes and NI every month and never claimed a single penny of benefit.
I am completely agree!

It is the native population that is to blame for their problems, they should not be racist
Reply 78
Original post by Josb
Your thread was about the positive contribution made by immigrants to the economy. Why are you switching the subject to war refugees?

Again, you are grossly distorting my point. I said that not all immigrants are worth the same. Some make a positive contribution, some don't.

Insults, I see.

You have substantial differences between migrants. Some do not want to claim benefits because they don't want to be a burden, others do not have such consideration. Overall, the former outnumber the latter.

I already said that native scroungers are terrible. We have to deal/cope with them. That's a fact. But it's not a reason to import more of similar people.

I have two master's degrees with distinction and I hold an offer for a PhD at Oxford. I don't need you to pity my education and upbringing.

I am also an immigrant on a high-paid job in the UK. I have paid about £500 of taxes and NI every month and never claimed a single penny of benefit.

I assume you are not studying anything to do with numbers, numerical analysis, economics or logic.
Original post by tengentoppa
This isn't necessarily true. For example, imagine a plumber from Romania. He would be happy to do the work for less than the going rate in the UK because it's still more than he would earn in his home country. He thereby undercuts British plumbers, who have to lower their prices.

Also, there are many instances of businesses hiring undocumented immigrants and therefore being able to pay them peanuts, rather than hiring legitimate workers who would have to be paid th minimum wage and be granted worker rights.

Shouting down those who complain about these things as failures is far too simplistic.

Is that not more the fault of the employer though not immigrants? So people come here not knowing how much they should be paid in order to live, or simply unable to claim a decent wage, and employers take advantage of it and exploit them for hardly any money, but then people claim thats the immigrants fault.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending