The Student Room Group

How much mobile phone data do you use each month?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by M14B
Maybe cuz I never go over that

If you're not a heavy data user then that Virgin package would probably be OK... though then again, you'd probably be able to get a 4GB data plan with another provider for less than what Virgin are charging anyway...

If you don't have Wifi access than you can easily go over though. Here's a couple of gems I've found about the complaints of mis-selling VM's "unlimited" tariff:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Internet-gone-really-slow/td-p/2784357 <- this user went to 3.9GB data (so not much over the 3.5GB limit) and got throttled back to 0.2Mbps

Garyk93

I'm waiting for wifi to be installed but that is irrelevant anyways
The purpose is UNLIMITED and I got the sim believing it is unlimited
I can't even send a snapchat as the connection is TOO SLOW
this is appalling
0 Kudos
And here's someone else that was mis-sold their VM deal:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Unlimited-Data-is-not-Unlimited/td-p/3053624
DGBall

I have got "Unlimited Data" with my Virgin Mobile contract, but when I get to about 3.5Gb of data a month it becomes unusable (speed goes to about 0.2Mb). Is advertising that you have Unlimited Data then throttling the services classed as false advertisement?

And here's one that I contributed to, and actually got resolved:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Poor-phone-signal/td-p/2553343

They didn't even know about the hidden 3.5GB data limit, yet when I told them about it, they enquired about their data usage, found out they had hit the FUP (fair use policy) and wanted a contract cancellation. I hope that they actually managed to cancel it, in the end...
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
MODS, please don't move this to the mobile phone forum.

I am debating if I should buy an iPhone 6s with 2GB data (£26 p/m) or iPhone 6s with 6GB data (£31 p/m). Obviously the 6GB one is more expensive, but I would never need to worry about going over my data limit.

Is it conceivable that somebody would use 6GB in a month, or would 2GB suffice for average needs?

BTW, there is no 3GB/4GB options. :frown:

A lot. But I don't use mobile phone data because you get wifi everywhere if you are a uni student. :smile:
I use three for their unlimited data and regularly exceed 30 GB simply because I don't have to think about how much I use. Free data in France and other countries is also great. I also find it cheaper to have a sim only contract and buy the handsets outright.
I am on PAYG and have been since last summer, I pay £10 per month for about 750MB of data, but sometimes it runs out before the end of the month and I have to pay again anyway. :frown:

What network are you with? I'm with t-mobile and it costs me 5 £ for a month unlimited data. But there is a fair use policy, so they slow down your internet for a day or so, but other than that it's good. It costs 2.50£ for a week of unlimited internet. Both are only data, no minutes or texts
Original post by Miss_mischy
What network are you with? I'm with t-mobile and it costs me 5 £ for a month unlimited data. But there is a fair use policy, so they slow down your internet for a day or so, but other than that it's good. It costs 2.50£ for a week of unlimited internet. Both are only data, no minutes or texts

That's a good deal, but I'm with 02 and have been for 12 years. :frown:

I think you could transfer your old number to the new provider, but if you're happy with O2 stay with them. You know how they work etc.
I think you could transfer your old number to the new provider, but if you're happy with O2 stay with them. You know how they work etc.

What if I stayed with 02? How could I put my existing number on the new phone?
Reply 47
30-40 gb unlimited data squaaa
What if I stayed with 02? How could I put my existing number on the new phone?

I'm not quite sure what you mean exactly, I'll try my best to explain a few things.

When you want to leave 02 for example, you would need to ask for a code that you need to give to your new provider and they will send you a new sim card with your old/existing number. You just use the sim card as normal, ie. replacing your old one.

However, if it's PAYG you won't get a new phone. The per month is PAYG as well, not a contract.

Hope this makes sense, I apologise if not.
I'm not quite sure what you mean exactly, I'll try my best to explain a few things.

When you want to leave 02 for example, you would need to ask for a code that you need to give to your new provider and they will send you a new sim card with your old/existing number. You just use the sim card as normal, ie. replacing your old one.

However, if it's PAYG you won't get a new phone. The per month is PAYG as well, not a contract.

Hope this makes sense, I apologise if not.

I am on 02 PAYG now, but am getting a contract with 02 (albeit via a third party website). I need my existing number to be transferred to any new phone I get. :smile:

If you wanted to switch from O2 to a different network, you'd have to ask O2 for a PAC code - which you'd then provide to your new network.

As for keeping your old O2 number on a new O2 sim, I don't know how that would work. I had to switch numbers when I went from a 500MB plan (on Virgin) to a 3.5GB plan. Having said that, I now have a PAC code, which I shall give to EE. So I can keep my Virgin number on an EE SIM.
Mid Jan to Mid Feb I used 10.52GB
Next month 13.66GB
Next month 19.57GB
I have an iPhone 5, which I have now had for about 3 years. :frown:

It is badly performing, and I need a new one ASAP.

I am also emigrating later in the year (hopefully) so I don't know what would happen to my 24 month contract, because realistically I cannot use UK data in Japan can I? :frown:

Since you're emigrating I would buy your new phone from Giffgaff, because the phone and usage payments are separated. You can then stop paying for calls and data etc but still pay off the phone.

I use less than 1GB every month (more when I'm at home from uni actually, so I go up to the next priced bundle up then)
I am on 02 PAYG now, but am getting a contract with 02 (albeit via a third party website). I need my existing number to be transferred to any new phone I get. :smile:

I think I've found you a solution.

If you look here: http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number it has information there about switching your PAYG number to Pay Monthly (i.e. SIM Only or Phone Contract).

Hope that helps!

I know what you mean now. I'm not entirely sure how that works. You should be able to tell them you already have a number with O2. I've never done things via a third party but if you go from a PAYG to a contract you can definitely keep your number. The number is tied to your sim card, so they might send you a new sim card or you can keep using your old one, not sure. It's best to check with them. Sorry.
Original post by spotify95
If you wanted to switch from O2 to a different network, you'd have to ask O2 for a PAC code - which you'd then provide to your new network.

As for keeping your old O2 number on a new O2 sim, I don't know how that would work. I had to switch numbers when I went from a 500MB plan (on Virgin) to a 3.5GB plan. Having said that, I now have a PAC code, which I shall give to EE. So I can keep my Virgin number on an EE SIM.

I just Googled it, seems it is possible with 02 but it can take 48hrs.
I wish the iPhone 7 would come out now...

I will end up with the 6s for 2 years while everyone else will be enjoying the 7. :rolleyes:
400-500mb.

My plan gives me 2.5gb but i haven't managed to use more than 600mb in any given month.

Even Wi-Fi usage is only 4-5GB. I don't understand how people could use more.
(edited 7 years ago)
Stop Press! STOP PRESS!

Found another gem to share with you all:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/mobile-data-speed/td-p/2911462/page/2

It looks like ALL SIMs that are more than 3.5GB per month, have this weird slow down thing - even SIMs that have limited data on them.

So there's a 4GB SIM for £15 and an 8GB SIM for £23. Meaning that you're basically paying £8 for 4GB of unusable, throttled data at 384 kilobits/sec!

What is that company like? The sooner they close down Virgin Mobile the better!
Original post by Quantex
I use three for their unlimited data and regularly exceed 30 GB simply because I don't have to think about how much I use. Free data in France and other countries is also great. I also find it cheaper to have a sim only contract and buy the handsets outright.

I tend to buy handsets outright as well. It gives you peace of mind that (a) you're not paying a very large amount of money per month for a phone and SIM contract; (b) you're not stuck with the same network for 12 or 24 months, and (c) you can move to a different network at any time - so if you find a better deal with another network, you can switch to a different network.

Plus you don't have to buy a new phone every 2 years!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending