The Student Room Group

Tense stomach due to exam stress

Hi I'm just posting because in the few months leading up to GCSEs my stomach has been very tense and hard. I'm pretty sure it's due to anxiety as I have other physical symptoms such as shakiness, muscle spasms, headaches and tearfulness, and I have gotten various rashes due to stress before. I went to the doctor and she said stomach problems during exams are common, and I was just wondering if anybody else experiences this too? And what you do to reduce it? It's just something that slightly freaks me out even though I know its impossible for me to be pregnant or anything and that stomach problems during exams are normal ahah, any responses would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I'm just posting because in the few months leading up to GCSEs my stomach has been very tense and hard. I'm pretty sure it's due to anxiety as I have other physical symptoms such as shakiness, muscle spasms, headaches and tearfulness, and I have gotten various rashes due to stress before. I went to the doctor and she said stomach problems during exams are common, and I was just wondering if anybody else experiences this too? And what you do to reduce it? It's just something that slightly freaks me out even though I know its impossible for me to be pregnant or anything and that stomach problems during exams are normal ahah, any responses would be appreciated :smile:

Did you mention all your other symptoms like headaches and spasms too?

Things you can try to relieve it:
Pain killers, warm baths/ hot packs, peppermint tea (a natural muscle relaxant), relaxation, anything you can do to relieve the stress causing it (not so easy with exam stress I know), gentle pressure (laying a hand or pillow on the area), warming or cooling gels, various soothing foods or drinks (you can find lists online).
Btw a little awkward to be asked, but are your bowel movements normal? You can get constipated with stress and that can cause pain. If you are constipated relieving that should relieve the pain too.

I get stress pains in my stomach and find relaxing baths and heat packs helps. I don't think most people would think touching the painful area would help but for me some gentle pressure from my hand or something is actually quite good.
I had really bad pains after a surgery in my stomach area and was told to drink peppermint tea. I tried it expecting it to be useless but honestly it helped more than paracetamol! I've yet to try it for stress pains, but have high hopes.
It may make you feel better to know that as I get older the stress pains get less bad so this may not be something that lasts too long for you.

I would advise still taking painkillers with you when you go to exams if you aren't using them any other time just incase you need them. I've been caught out by a sudden increase of pain before and learned my lesson.

Hope something helps you with the pain and good luck with your exams :smile:
Physical symptoms of stress are very natural and normal. Stress is an evolved response to potential threat - a predator chasing you, an enemy tribe hunting you - which prepares the body for action.

The trouble is, in the modern world, we don't respond to stress as we would in our evolutionary history.

So next time you get these feeling, try doing some vigorous exercise - lifting weights, running, things like that. You may well feel better afterwards once the cortisol and adrenaline have been put to use, and be better placed to get on with revision afterwards.

Quick Reply

Latest