The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Chemistry C1 Revision Squad!

AQA GCSE Chemistry C1 Revision Squad!

This is a revision thread for the AQA GCSE Chemistry C1 exam on 19th May 2016.This thread is for you to ask and answer questions so that we can all help each other to do well in this exam. If you ask an exam question please include the number of marks the question is worth.

First question: Hydrocarbons and calcium carbonate contain locked up carbon dioxide. What is locked up carbon dioxide? (2 marks)
when carbon dioxide gets locked in sedimentary rocks such as limestone
Original post by chantelle gee

Yeah :biggrin:
Suggest two reasons why copper is now extracted from ores containing a low percentage of copper compounds. (2 marks)
Original post by MissChameleon
Suggest two reasons why copper is now extracted from ores containing a low percentage of copper compounds. (2 marks)

High grade coppers are running out, and more efficient ways of extracting copper are being developed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This isnt really an exam question, but if the 6 marker is about the miller-urey experiment, how do you think the question will be strictured and what would i say in my answer?

Edit:
Locked up carbon is when carbon dioxide from the early atmosphere was used to make sedimentary rocks (i think :P)
(edited 7 years ago)
i have a feeling 6 marker will be about the miller and urey experiment too, just tackle it this way

milley and urey were scientists that carried out the primordial soup experiment
firstly they gathered some of the gases that they have chosen themselves and decided to react them together, these gases were mainly ammonia, methane and others
during their experiment lightning struck which triggered the reaction between the gases themselves eventually leading to the formation of amino acids which they believed later combined to produce organic matter
they discovered that amino acids were produced but not as many as on earth.
(obviously you can expand on this saying amonia, methane and the other gases that they had selected are all found now in the earths atmosphere)

they could extend question to ask you about the filtration of air and separating gases, cooling co2 etc

i hope this helps you guys
and i hope we destroy that c1 paper tomorrow, goodluck.
Original post by Deniz-Denz
i have a feeling 6 marker will be about the miller and urey experiment too, just tackle it this way

milley and urey were scientists that carried out the primordial soup experiment
firstly they gathered some of the gases that they have chosen themselves and decided to react them together, these gases were mainly ammonia, methane and others
during their experiment lightning struck which triggered the reaction between the gases themselves eventually leading to the formation of amino acids which they believed later combined to produce organic matter
they discovered that amino acids were produced but not as many as on earth.
(obviously you can expand on this saying amonia, methane and the other gases that they had selected are all found now in the earths atmosphere)

they could extend question to ask you about the filtration of air and separating gases, cooling co2 etc

i hope this helps you guys
and i hope we destroy that c1 paper tomorrow, goodluck.

Thanks for the explanation :smile:
Do you think theyll ask about why and why not the experiment is reliable. Kind of like the usual "what are the advantages and disadvantages" questions?
Not just 6 markers, but any predictions on topics that might come up in general? :smile: good luck btw everyone!
Original post by litlanglad
Thanks for the explanation :smile:
Do you think theyll ask about why and why not the experiment is reliable. Kind of like the usual "what are the advantages and disadvantages" questions?

i dont really think they'll ask you about the advantages and disadvantages of the miller and urey experiment, there will definetly be an advantages and disadvantages question on fuels, polymers or something along those lines, but if they do ask u for miller and urey just say that the disadvantage was that as more theories were discovered scientists began to disapprove their theory
Original post by sunny181113
Not just 6 markers, but any predictions on topics that might come up in general? :smile: good luck btw everyone!

electrons will definetly be there
polymersation maybe
ores definetly
miller and urey experiment maybe
earths atmosphere and tectonic plates definetly
and limestone definetly

so revise those ones good, i hope they wont mock us like they did with b1, i revised fully for vaccinations, auxins, menstrual cycle and that but AQA changed their style
Are the limestone questions the ones aboit the kiln and thermal decomposition?
Original post by litlanglad
Are the limestone questions the ones aboit the kiln and thermal decomposition?

yh
make sure you know the limestone cycle too

calcium carbonate thermally decomposes to form calcium oxide and carbon dioxide
(calcium oxide is also known as quicklime)
calcium oxide then reacts with water to form calcium hydroxide(slaked lime) and then calcium hydroxide then reacts with carbon dioxide to form calcium carbonate

you also need to know how cement,concrete and mortar is made

cement is made from powdered limestone and clay heated in the rotary kiln
cement is then mixed with sand and water to make mortar
or mixed with sand and gravel to make concrete which is the strongest
Reply 13
Original post by chantelle gee

I dont believe you can answer a define question using the word in the question.

In the past papers (2) one mark was for saying the co2 is from early earth if i remember correctly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending