The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

CosmicOutburst
I don't get it. Is it just me or are the GCSE exams too easy? I don't have a problem with this because I just want to get into college. The thing that does make me wonder is why all the teachers have put so much preassure on me and the other students to prepare for the GCSEs, and now that they're here, I don't think there was any need for schooling. I could have had some schooling as a child and then started school in year 10 and easily got out with something good. It doesn't make any sense to me, are the exams supposed to be this easy? I haven't revised for science once, yet I was able to answer all the questions easily!

I don't think you're in the position to judge how easy they are until you get your results.

I got a D in an exam I thought was easy, in the Mocks.

Just because you find them easy doesn't mean everyone else does, so therefore does not mean the exams were easy.

As I said; wait till you get your results before bragging about how easy they were.

There are a lot of threads like this at the moment. Personally I think most of them are threads made by people with exam insecurities, trying to make other people feel bad by pretending they found them really easy. This may not be true in all cases, but it definitely is in a lot of them.
gcses are getting easier in most subjects. fact. look at o-level papers, past gcse papers, and the lowering grade boundaries. however some gcses are not getting easier- drama, art u have to get 97% every year to get an a*-that requires real talent.
however does it bother us that gcses are getting easier? no im quite happy to work hard and try to do my best but the boundaries being lower makes it more likely that i will do well (does this sentence even make sense?).
the whole point of gcses is to teach you to learn and work under stress, and to teach u new skills, and prepare u for the working world. i think the current system does this so it doesnt matter if there getting easier cos u dont need to remember most of the information anyway.
Reply 42
Teachers put pressure on you so that you will revise everything and do your best.

The exams never go over everything you have learnt in that given subject,
so teachers make it look hard to get you studying.

Thats my opinion.

Also past papers may sometimes be a bit off our sylabous we are tested on now,which is why these may seem easier then those in 2002 and 2003.
Reply 43
it's horrible when yuo come out of an exam room only to hear everyone else but you found it easy lol :smile:
Kt.b
And you're not biased at all. :p:

I just think the Chinese take education more seriously, they'll put their kids in the private schools and try to get them into the grammars whereas other races don't think it is so important.

True, I have 2 Chinese friends, one whos parents have stopped her going on the internet, the other one who's barely allowed out as she's always meant to be studying. They do take it a lot more seriously than the rest of us.
Reply 45
ok if ur referring to science wel then its u cos damn it was hard the higher paper
Reply 46
A* A B C require effort.
the reason we might find them remotely easy is because you have prepared for them one way or another.
I dont think i have had one exam and walked out feeling, wow easy.
Maybe sometimes but not all the time..
CosmicOutburst
I don't get it. Is it just me or are the GCSE exams too easy? I don't have a problem with this because I just want to get into college. The thing that does make me wonder is why all the teachers have put so much preassure on me and the other students to prepare for the GCSEs, and now that they're here, I don't think there was any need for schooling. I could have had some schooling as a child and then started school in year 10 and easily got out with something good. It doesn't make any sense to me, are the exams supposed to be this easy? I haven't revised for science once, yet I was able to answer all the questions easily!

Here is a pin.
Go deflate your head.
Reply 49
Ok - I will lay it down simple. To be honest it doesn't matter if people think that GCSE's are getting easier or harder, really.

You all seem to be going on about how it is "60% for this", "70% for that". It doesn't matter on the percentages or grade boundaries because they change each year anyway. It is all to do with how smart the population is as a whole. They then mark out the top 9% of the population as A*s etc etc. It's all worked out on a cumulative. So the fact that some of you people think you can get A*s without revision is because infact no-one is doing revision either. It's all a sign of the nation getting more bone-idle and lazy.

So when you say "more people are getting As/A*s that ever" this is untrue because the same amount of people get these grades on a yearly basis anyway depending on how many people take the exam of course - but this does not usually change drastically.

So if you think that GCSEs are easy... Stop complaining... Really wait till you see A-Level and Degree work.
I go to a Grammar School, and in my year there are 180 students, all girls.
We are put into sets for almost all our subjects, we have people taking way more GCSES than is requested, doing triple science, taken their maths GCSE a year early, taking higher exams in everything and acheiving A*'s and top marks everytime..
We have people who are doing foundation double science and intermediate maths, and people taking foundation languages because they find these subjects more challenging..

And this is in a Grammar School..

This would suggest that there are people in comprehensive schools who find subjects even more challenging than the people i work with on a dialy basis.. I'm sure they wouldn't say they find the GCSE's easy

Way i see it, Everyone has to take the GCSE's.. Almost every 16year old in the country has to take GCSE's, and that ability range is huuuuge!

If you find them easy - you're talented, and you deserve to be getting your A*'s and whatever

If they were made harder, there would be more people failing, and not enough people acheiving the high grades needed to carry on further education and educate new doctors and scientists!

I'm a pretty average student, i find some subjects difficult.. and i revise so hard for them, but i'm still only acheiving B's. Which is so frustrating for me when there are people who don't bother revising and can acheive A*'s and come out of the exam confident..

But then again there are exams i come out of feeling confident, hence why i'd class myself as an average student..

:smile:
xxLilsiexx
gcses are getting easier in most subjects. fact. look at o-level papers, past gcse papers, and the lowering grade boundaries. however some gcses are not getting easier- drama, art u have to get 97% every year to get an a*-that requires real talent.
however does it bother us that gcses are getting easier? no im quite happy to work hard and try to do my best but the boundaries being lower makes it more likely that i will do well (does this sentence even make sense?).
the whole point of gcses is to teach you to learn and work under stress, and to teach u new skills, and prepare u for the working world. i think the current system does this so it doesnt matter if there getting easier cos u dont need to remember most of the information anyway.

Actually GCSE AQA Drama requires only 79% for an A*... I don't know where you got 97% from...
Reply 52
97%. that would be impossible wouldnt it? (i dont actually do drama or art..)
for a subject like art, i am told you basically accumulate marks by doing more and more work. people i know who took art have said that if you hand in loads and loads of work, then even if it's rubbish you can get a really high mark. if you're really good at art then you don't have to hand in as many pieces of work... if u get me.
Reply 54
lol ye i understand
97% is accurate for Edexcel's Drama syllabus.
It's practically impossible for me to get an A*.
I'd be over the moon if they changed the boundaries this year.
bit bigheaded of you to say theyre easy really
hbk91
97% is accurate for Edexcel's Drama syllabus.
It's practically impossible for me to get an A*.
I'd be over the moon if they changed the boundaries this year.

Really?! I'm kidding myself over Drama! I'm on AQA (79% for an A*) and I need just over half marks in my terminal exam to get an A*! I've always thought of Drama as one of the easy gcses - but I guess on some exam boards it is hard. Still, too bad...
Reply 58
I wouldnt speak too sooon.
And if you found them easy and did no revision you must be really really cleaver!!
Just think that not everyones cleaver and alot of people have to work really hard to get good results.
Wouldn't you rather find them easy anyway?
Reply 59
Kellywood, I totally agree.

None of us can generalise like this...first, we weren't around 20 year ago, so how do we know exams are getting easier? Exams develop, and adapt over the years and the style/types of qstns change as well.

Secondly, just because an exam is so easy for you, doesn't mean everyone else finds it easy, so well done for being so clever but you could also try being a little more sensitive. :wink:

Personally, I have found 90% of the exams i've done to be very challenging, so if they are getting easier, i really wouldn't want to have sat them 10/20 yrs ago!

Latest