The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

2017 Typical IB offers

Hello,

Pardon me if there already is any thread on that matter (I could've not found one) but Edin Uni have published new typical offers for 2017 entry and I just can't understand any of that. Why do they want to give offers of 43/45 points (with 776 at HL) for IB students applying to Law/Economics(/possibly some others)? It's 4-5 points higher than Oxford standard offer and more than that of Cambridge. What reasoning could've leaded them to such change? :-/
Original post by NeXT2530
Hello,

Pardon me if there already is any thread on that matter (I could've not found one) but Edin Uni have published new typical offers for 2017 entry and I just can't understand any of that. Why do they want to give offers of 43/45 points (with 776 at HL) for IB students applying to Law/Economics(/possibly some others)? It's 4-5 points higher than Oxford standard offer and more than that of Cambridge. What reasoning could've leaded them to such change? :-/

I suspect it is because they get so many applications ( more than 50,000!) that they want to reduce it- one way of doing it is to increase the typical offer which will weed out those who currently apply at the lower end of the grades who may well get rejected (unless they have special circumstances or very strong Personal statement)

They have increased the typical offer for quite a few subjects - Law, , English Literature, Economics etc- all of which are very competitive and have low acceptance rates

Interestingly they have lowered the typical offer for some other subjects,, philosophy Divinity etc which are less competitive

In the end they are not looking at other universities and deciding what should be a typical offer based on what others are doing-why should they?

they are looking at who is applying to them, what kind of grades they achieve and then set the bar accordingly
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Quick Reply

Latest