Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Undergraduates - the first week?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

What happens on the first week? I've applied for Psychology, and I'm interested in what students do at their first week of University. (I'm living off campus, if that makes any difference) Thanks in advance.

I studied Psychology too!

I think we had a week of no lectures from the 21/09/15 - 28/09/15

In the first week (28/09/15 to 04/10/15) we had introductory lectures and socials to meet other students and lecturers.
    They introduced the different modules and outlined what we had to do and topics included as well as some brief info on exams.
    A lot of the time is dedicated to freshers activities, theres something every night for about 2 weeks and then the freshers fair with pizza and free stuff.
    Societies and sports sign ups happen, you can look around campus and familiarise yourself with everything.

I lived off campus too, at Liberty Court. It doesn't make much of a difference except getting to Keele can take a while sometimes.
    The first week is tailored to meeting others and making friends as well as making sure you settle in fine. They ease you into uni life and help you adjust.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me x

There are loads of things that go on during Welcome Week at Keele! There’s a Welcome Guide available here www.keele.ac.uk/welcome
    There are a number of sign up fairs where you can find out about all the Societies we offer and if there’s a sports team you’d like to get involved in. There are also representatives from the local area so you can find out what’s close by.

KeeleSU runs Fresher's Week which is a bunch of activities that happen throughout the day aswell as an event every night for the entire week from headphones discos to comedy nights to live headlining acts. You can see more of what has happened inthe past here: keelesu.com/freshers

Last year also saw the Welcome Festival, plus a range of help desks from IT, Student Money, Student Support and Disability Services, Mindfulness Outdoors, Cycle Group and more. Various religious services opened their doors, such as the Chapel. There was also a barbecue last year for Off-Campus and Commuting students. We had a Languages Fair if you’re eligible to take elective language modules. Heritage Walks also take place so you can learn about our history.

There’s so much going on and there’s something for everyone! If you like going out or you’d rather something more chilled in the evening or if you’d rather find something to do in the day instead, there’s usually something to suit everyone!

In terms of lectures, as the previous post already explains, they’ll be a series of introductory lectures for you to get to know your lecturers, a bit more about the course and what to expect throughout your time here, and also meet a bunch of students who are all in the same position as you!

If you have any more questions we’d be happy to answer.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.