The Student Room Group

How much would you spend on an item of clothing?

Scroll to see replies

Idk it depends, my late expensive thing was a 345€ coat - he was just :ahee: :ahee: -
Original post by Dinasaurus
I have the opportunity to get some Bape and I was thinking of saving some money towards it but it could be like £200 almost for a hoodie and thats the lower end. I don't really have any actual tops anywhere near that price, maybe like a Ralph Lauren jumper thats like £80.

Shoes are a different story and I spend quite a bit on em. I don't think I'd spend more than £300 on a pair of shoes, even tho I like the look of some designer stuff but it's still mega expensive. (Before you judge I don't own £300 shoes just saying, If I had the money that'd be my max)

Suit = £3000
Shoes= £200 (Except my yeezy's and red bottom's)
T-Shirt= £100
Jeans= £80
Jumper= £120
£200

but paying 100 for one item of clothing is a bit much!
I have the opportunity to get some Bape and I was thinking of saving some money towards it but it could be like £200 almost for a hoodie and thats the lower end. I don't really have any actual tops anywhere near that price, maybe like a Ralph Lauren jumper thats like £80.

Shoes are a different story and I spend quite a bit on em. I don't think I'd spend more than £300 on a pair of shoes, even tho I like the look of some designer stuff but it's still mega expensive. (Before you judge I don't own £300 shoes just saying, If I had the money that'd be my max)

Have you considered prioritising fit, quality and craftsmanship over superfluous labels whose only function is to visibly brand you as a slave of conspicuous consumerism, thereby alerting others that your sartorial judgement has been irretrievably compromised by the kind of peer-pressure and corporate brainwashing that causes you to periodically surrender your wallet in return for the privilege of advertising someone else's overpriced tat?

Granted, I do have two pairs of £400 shoes—boots, to be exact—but they're actually shoes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
Suit = £3000
Shoes= £200 (Except my yeezy's and red bottom's)
T-Shirt= £100
Jeans= £80
Jumper= £120

You have Yeezys omg, damn I once tried to get moonrocks, I had 50 tabs open and I was up for ages but sadly didn't happen. £3000 for a suit wowwwww.

Original post by Proxenus
the other day I googled searched the girl in your avi

wow

anyway

max i'd spend on clothing would be £70

Jei is 10/10

Original post by Profesh
Have you considered prioritising fit, quality and craftsmanship over superfluous labels whose only function is to visibly brand you as a slave of conspicuous consumerism, thereby alerting others that your sartorial judgement has been irretrievably compromised by the kind of peer-pressure and corporate brainwashing that causes you to periodically surrender your wallet in return for the privilege of advertising someone else's overpriced tat?

Granted, I do have two pairs of £400 shoes—boots, to be exact—but they're actually shoes.

How is it peer pressure to wear what nobody else wears? It's literally the opposite as it differentiates you, how many people do you see wearing Yohji Yamamoto or Bape?
You have Yeezys omg, damn I once tried to get moonrocks, I had 50 tabs open and I was up for ages but sadly didn't happen. £3000 for a suit wowwwww.

Yh...
I spill a lot of cash for a boy my age......
Yh...
I spill a lot of cash for a boy my age......

How old are you, what do you do?

Although I have got 'expensive' clothes like what I said in my OP, it's pretty rare, like most of my clothes is high street brands like 90% I'd say.

I wouldn't pay for an expensive t-shirt or something though, I find that is a bit of a waste.
I have a £200 handbag and £625 Louboutins. I can't afford to buy these things all the time but if I feel like treating myself I will.
How old are you, what do you do?

Although I have got 'expensive' clothes like what I said in my OP, it's pretty rare, like most of my clothes is high street brands like 90% I'd say.

I wouldn't pay for an expensive t-shirt or something though, I find that is a bit of a waste.

13.... Live life

Most of my clothes are £50+ including underwear and socks......
I just spill my parents cash as a living :biggrin:
13.... Live life

Most of my clothes are £50+ including underwear and socks......
I just spill my parents cash as a living :biggrin:

you're 13 and spend that kind of money, wtf damn your parents must be loaded.

I only got expensive clothes like y-3s cause I was working in Amazon.
you're 13 and spend that kind of money, wtf damn your parents must be loaded.

I only got expensive clothes like y-3s cause I was working in Amazon.

LOL! Yh, quite loaded, not all that :biggrin:
It would have to be pretty damn good for me to spend more than £25 lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is it peer pressure to wear what nobody else wears? It's literally the opposite as it differentiates you, how many people do you see wearing Yohji Yamamoto or Bape?

Because, however cynically, the primary motivator appears to be a kind of manufactured scarcity for its own sake; a self-fulfilling morbid circle-jerk of passive-aggressive conformists all clambering over one another to project the size of their disposable incomes on an IMAX screen so that they can feel temporarily validated at the expense of their peers, rather than taking the time to cultivate that personal style which would equally set them apart even if they dressed exclusively in thrift-store apparel, yet still free them to have said thrift-store apparel professionally tailored such that it looks better on them than any off-the-shelf garment will ever look on you.

If you see something Bape which you feel encapsulates your personality and aesthetic sensibility, or which happens to co-ordinate impeccably with another item in your wardrobe (i.e. not necessarily by design) then by all means buy it: but don't buy it for no more discerning a reason than because it's Bape; that's just wilfully implanting the seed of an unsustainable, compulsive and dysfunctional lifestyle whereby you're incapable of feeling truly happy with anything you own, because its value is deemed solely by how unattainable it is to your perceived 'fashion rivals'.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Profesh
Because, however cynically, the primary motivator appears to be a kind of manufactured scarcity for its own sake; a self-fulfilling morbid circle-jerk of passive-aggressive conformists all clambering over one another to project the size of their disposable incomes on an IMAX screen so that they can feel temporarily validated at the expense of their peers, rather than taking the time to cultivate that personal style which would equally set them apart even if they dressed exclusively in thrift-store apparel, yet still free them to have said thrift-store apparel professionally tailored such that it looks better on them than any off-the-shelf garment will ever look on you.

If you see something Bape which you feel encapsulates your personality and aesthetic sensibility, or which happens to co-ordinate impeccably with another item in your wardrobe (i.e. not necessarily by design) then by all means buy it: but don't buy it for no more discerning a reason than because it's Bape; that's just wilfully implanting the seed of an unsustainable, compulsive and dysfunctional lifestyle whereby you're incapable of feeling truly happy with anything you own, because its value is deemed solely by how unattainable it is to your perceived 'fashion rivals'.

If I was wearing it for the sake of designer why would I want Bape? When none of my friends even know what Bape is, why if I just cared about designer for the sake of it, don't I just wear the much more easily available Western designer brands?

It's not like I'm doing photoshoots or posting what I buy elsewhere, if I simply wanted to throw money at clothes, I could do it more easily than have to write up a guide for a friend who is visiting Japan so they can get me something. Also I've not seen many good items in charity shops, it's generally much older style clothing.
I tend to just get topman jeans for like £40, are those cheapo?

yes.
I've spent circa. £150 on items like Jackets before, but merely from Fast Fashion places such as ZARA.

I'm veering onto the more higher fashion side of things (compared to the above), which are obviously more expensive. (Rick Owens, Common Projects, Acne etc.) via. shops like MRPORTER, but merely for signature items like jeans and shoes - everything else will be carefully picked out from various places.
Reply 36
£20 for a suit once
Original post by fr0sr_
yes.

They do a good enough job for me tbh, they're the skinniest jeans sold on the high street.
I usually don't spend more than £50 on every day or nice clothing, and maximum £12 on a single piece of underwear.
Shoes I can spend ridiculous amounts on. I like quality shoes that last for years, so I tend to spend £150 on those... Shoes I only wear once in a while (stilettos etc), I normally spend £15-30 on haha.
Coats and jackets could be anything from £5-70, to be honest.

So: maximum I'd spend on an item of clothing(SHOES) would be £200 then, since I tend to stretch my shoe budget every now and then.
The most I'll ever spend is maybe £80 on a really nice, warm coat. I barely spend anything on clothes. I wear secondhand and don't replace things until they're utterly destroyed.

Quick Reply

Latest