The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrenchUnicorn
I know, but not all the women of Iran for example actually WANT to wear a hijab. So some of them might be "themselve" in hidden places. (Never been to Iran, but my friend lives there and he told me about it)

Yeah, but the issue is specifically about how people dress in public, I think. I doubt that even the Saudi authorities would care if a single man was dressing up as a woman in his own time and in the privacy of his own home.

Though yes, some women do resent having to wear hijab and such. :tongue:
Original post by Youngmetro
Yes it does. It's called culture and tradition.

No one is going to forget their culture and tradition of their ancestors for the sake of the modern world. How you see the modern world is totally subjective.

Oh so we should let women be treated as second class citizens now because it's 'culture and tradition'?

Brb ditching my dream of becoming a scientist to be a housewife who pops out kids every year (dependent on the state too because there's no way my husband's salary will be enough to support us) or scrubs floors on her knees all day

But hey! That's culture! Who cares if your kids' futures are being screwed up because they don't get they same opportunities as the kids who have both their parents working? It's culture and it should be preserved!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
It's funny because as soon as someone criticises Islam, all the Muslims jump and scream "ISLAMOPHOBIA".

It's funny because you assume everyone who is muslim do this. Im not a muslim.

But what's happening isn't criticism. It's hate speech and inciting hatred. I've seen very inflammatory comments where people take a sarcastic and patronising tone and try to veil it with false logic. A simple minded person sees all this as criticism, someone who is a little more bright will be able to see the reality. If you think there isnt islamophobia on TSR then im afraid i cant help you. OP obviously did this to incite hatred and bashing of islam, just look through some of the comments on this thread.
Original post by Serine Soul
Do societal customs from hundreds of years ago have any place in the modern world?

You have just transformed your point into a question without addressing the point made. The argument that societal customs, cultures and traditions from hundreds of years ago should be abandoned because they are from hundreds of years ago is circular.

Most men have the self control not to act upon it though?

As I have said, it affects men subconsciously and will affect their behaviour in subtle ways.

To use extreme examples, men would most likely be willing to spend time being clumsy in the presence of a a supermodel than being confident and assured in the presence of an extremely fat person on the street?

I wasn't even claiming that. I was merely suggesting it may be a factor. You ought to stop putting words in peoples mouths.

Given the fact that you used lack of female rights in an exclusive sense in regards to poverty, it is not difficult to interpret it in such a manner.

Perhaps you'd like to explain the link between lack of female rights and poverty to me?
@MrsSheldonCooper

So taking random pictures of random women at random places on random dates is supposed to make people think that Muslim women nowadays have no right? Lol I need to get my ass back to school
It's funny because you assume everyone who is muslim do this. Im not a muslim.

But what's happening isn't criticism. It's hate speech and inciting hatred. I've seen very inflammatory comments where people take a sarcastic and patronising tone and try to veil it with false logic. A simple minded person sees all this as criticism, someone who is a little more bright will be able to see the reality. If you think there isnt islamophobia on TSR then im afraid i cant help you. OP obviously did this to incite hatred and bashing of islam, just look through some of the comments on this thread.

Perhaps it was a general question?

Since when is Islamophobia bad in any way at all? The religion is full of contradiction and defo isn't compatible with the West in terms of its values.
It was no longer in power but it certainly spurred Islamic fundamentalism. This is really what i'm trying to say.

I doubt it would have been de-islamicised, groups like the Mujahideen and the war that occurred proved that people werent accepting of this. But I think we would have to agree to disagree here.

Of course, definitely agree. Soviets were completely anti - Religion

Islamic fundamentalism existed before the Soviets - as you point out, large parts of Afghanistan revolted against communism because they opposed the communist programme of de-Islamification and womens' liberation. I.e. they already held Islamist views and came to fight communism to uphold Islamism, not that they came to believe in Islamism as some sort of allergic response to communism.
Original post by KINGYusuf
@MrsSheldonCooper

So taking random pictures of random women at random places on random dates is supposed to make people think that Muslim women nowadays have no right? Lol I need to get my ass back to school

1) He's referring to the religion genius. Islam advises women to cover up doesn't it?
2) Have you seen what dress codes in the Middle East are like now?

If you don't then I suggest you do get your ass back in school.
Reply 148
So taking random pictures of random women at random places and random dates is supposed to make people think that all the women of the countries above are covered today ?

Go to the countries and 101% you'll be able to take each of the pics.

Being civilized is about wearing what you want. :h:

Precisely, most of these women cannot wear what they want. In Iran, it is illegal for a woman to be uncovered. Moreover, in other Muslim countries, uncovered women are regularly assaulted and, since the police don't prosecute these incidents, they are forced to wear a full veil to walk in peace.
Perhaps it was a general question?

Since when is Islamophobia bad in any way at all? The religion is full of contradiction and defo isn't compatible with the West in terms of its values.

"Since when is Islamophobia bad in any way at all" nah your parents must defo hate you loool
Original post by Observatory
Well this is certainly the first time I've ever been accused of being a pro-communist propagandist!

You're right it's a bit more complicated, but not making that much difference in the final analysis. Afghanistan had a reformist king who, under Soviet "advice", established a parliament stacked with reformists. When he finally held a free election, the parliament was controlled by rural conservatives. Rather than face a second such parliament, urban reformists overthrew the king and his parliament and established a leftist one-party state. This state was in turn overthrown by communists who, without any real support in the country, appealed to the Soviets to back their rule, which the Soviets did.

Reformism and later full-blown communism in Afghanistan began as a coupist movement by a native urban elite minority, with the Soviets acting only as advisers and political backers, but it never commanded enough support to stay in power on its own. If the Soviets had not backed it up, it would have fallen even sooner.

Thank you for the brief history except on Russian-Afghanistan relations but it does not address your spurious claim that miniskirts and other forms of "liberal dress" were down to the USSR, given the fact that the photos generally pre-date whatever it is that you are talking about.
Original post by Serine Soul
Oh so we should let women be treated as second class citizens now because it's 'culture and tradition'?

I fail to see how wearing traditional clothing means they are second class citizens.
Reply 152
You're the one who snipped out the main point I was making. You chose to reply to this bit, not the point I was actually making.

Funnily enough, you just prove my point, especially since you choose to put yourself in that position.

You're the one who essentially said that we cannot debate on the subject because we're too stupid to do so. If you want people to debate with you, don't call them stupid before they even had the chance to answer you.
Original post by Hydeman
Yeah, but the issue is specifically about how people dress in public, I think. I doubt that even the Saudi authorities would care if a single man was dressing up as a woman in his own time and in the privacy of his own home.

I was not really talking about places like home, more something like places with almost no one and stuff like that - besides it is more common for the young persons according to my friend - but yes you're still right ^^ (bold part ++)
Original post by Hydeman
Though yes, some women do resent having to wear hijab and such. :tongue:

Indeed, and it's stupid not to give choice to people about what to wear :no:

So taking random pictures of random women at random places on random dates is supposed to make people think that

hahaha ! Almost what I said !
So taking random pictures of random women at random places and random dates is supposed to make people think that
"Since when is Islamophobia bad in any way at all" nah your parents must defo hate you loool

Answer the question then. Why is it that whenever some other religion gets criticism not that many people say a thing.

But when Islam gets criticised you go nuts and then try and rave though you can't back it up to save your life.

Logic. Not everyone is a slave to religion babe.
Original post by Erebor
I don't think you are very aware. Women would be literally lynched in the streets in many parts of the muslim world for wearing what they did in the 70's.

Proof? I bet you don't have an ounce of evidence to support your hateful rhetoric.
He's generalising you cretin, are all Muslim women covered up? Ignorant moron I feel sorry for your upbringing.

And since when does covering up get rid of Women's rights.

When did I say that all Muslim women were covered up? I said Islam advises women to cover up.

Next time you try and act all hard by insulting me (which is immature as hell), try and read my posts properly. And do go back to school. You must've done terribly.
Original post by Josb
Precisely, most of these women cannot wear what they want. In Iran, it is illegal for a woman to be uncovered.

It is exactly what I was trying to say. That the thing was not about the hijab itself but about the way people force other people to wear things they do not want to.

Original post by Josb
Moreover, in other Muslim countries, uncovered women are regularly assaulted and, since the police don't prosecute these incidents, they are forced to wear a full veil to walk in peace.

Yep, and truly sad, as I said above, that people do not have choice to wear what they want to :/
Answer the question then. Why is it that whenever some other religion gets criticism not that many people say a thing.

But when Islam gets criticised you go nuts and then try and rave though you can't back it up to save your life.

Logic. Not everyone is a slave to religion babe.

Lol you're an idiot.

"Why is it that whenever some other religion gets criticism not that many people say a thing."

Do you do your research fam? Britain First alone has 1M+ supporters and get infuriated everytime someone criticizes Christianity. You're generalising again.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Thank you for the brief history except on Russian-Afghanistan relations but it does not address your spurious claim that miniskirts and other forms of "liberal dress" were down to the USSR, given the fact that the photos generally pre-date whatever it is that you are talking about.

Miniskirts and female university students first appear after the reforms of Mohammed Zahir Shah, however both Mohammed Zahir Shah and the USSR were trying to impose unwelcome policies on the population, and Mohammed Zahir Shah was only able (and probably only inclined) to do what he did because he was a place-man of the Soviets, just as every Afghan king has been a place-man of either the Russians or the British back to the early 1800s.

Latest

Trending

Trending