The Student Room Group

Why is my bf like this, is it me?

My boyfriend has been helping out at a sports meet today and i went too but wasnt really needed so just watched most of the day. He asked me to help him with some equipment stands which i did. However i dreaded it beforehand as he usually gets irritated with me. Lo and behold i didnt put the stand away as he wanted and he started swearing saying '****ing useless, wake up, get out of bed earlier'. So i walked off went to the toilets and cried a bit in a cubicle lol. I never cry in front of others and i probably was being soft but it brought feelings i have about feeling useless in general life as i can be dopy.

He rang me twice but i didnt answer as i didnt want him to know it upset me. I went to him half an hour later and he put his arm around me and said 'friends?' I just squirted some orange tinted water at him jokingly and said that i was going to nip home for a bit but i wasnt sure if he heard as he got iterrupted. In all honesty I thought why should i stand waiting for him when he insults me plus i had jobs to be doing at home until he had finished there. I went to my car and he rang. I said i was nipping home he said something in annoyed tone then hung up.

I rang him twice hours later but no answer. He sent a text asked what i was doing i said just jobs in the house he replied 'just feels like another wasted weekend'. In the past he said we dont spend enough time together so i took it to mean that it was because of me going home. I replied 'Theres been a sports comp all day cant help that. After watching events I didnt want to stand around for longer doing nothing they didnt need help so came home did washing etc'

He replied 'what a load of bull'.

I replied 'So cant say what i did cause its bull and am in the wrong for going home for a bit, ok.'
He said again 'what a load of bull'. I didnt know what else to reply so just put 'good reply, i might save that for my drafts'.

Sorty if this bored you to death but just wanted opinions. Is it me thats too sensitive/in the wrong or whatever?

Scroll to see replies

He sounds like an abusive dick, frankly. He usually gets irritated with you? tells you that you are effing useless? Wake up? Telling you that you are talking bull?

Get rid and, when he asks why, tell him it's because he is a childish bully and you can do better.
he doesnt sound very mature, seems very childish.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
My boyfriend has been helping out at a sports meet today and i went too but wasnt really needed so just watched most of the day. He asked me to help him with some equipment stands which i did. However i dreaded it beforehand as he usually gets irritated with me. Lo and behold i didnt put the stand away as he wanted and he started swearing saying '****ing useless, wake up, get out of bed earlier'. So i walked off went to the toilets and cried a bit in a cubicle lol. I never cry in front of others and i probably was being soft but it brought feelings i have about feeling useless in general life as i can be dopy.

He rang me twice but i didnt answer as i didnt want him to know it upset me. I went to him half an hour later and he put his arm around me and said 'friends?' I just squirted some orange tinted water at him jokingly and said that i was going to nip home for a bit but i wasnt sure if he heard as he got iterrupted. In all honesty I thought why should i stand waiting for him when he insults me plus i had jobs to be doing at home until he had finished there. I went to my car and he rang. I said i was nipping home he said something in annoyed tone then hung up.

I rang him twice hours later but no answer. He sent a text asked what i was doing i said just jobs in the house he replied 'just feels like another wasted weekend'. In the past he said we dont spend enough time together so i took it to mean that it was because of me going home. I replied 'Theres been a sports comp all day cant help that. After watching events I didnt want to stand around for longer doing nothing they didnt need help so came home did washing etc'

He replied 'what a load of bull'.

I replied 'So cant say what i did cause its bull and am in the wrong for going home for a bit, ok.'
He said again 'what a load of bull'. I didnt know what else to reply so just put 'good reply, i might save that for my drafts'.

Sorty if this bored you to death but just wanted opinions. Is it me thats too sensitive/in the wrong or whatever?

Dump him.

No woman with healthy self-esteem would put up with his behaviour.
Reply 4
Original post by Canterbury bloke
He sounds like an abusive dick, frankly. He usually gets irritated with you? tells you that you are effing useless? Wake up? Telling you that you are talking bull?

Get rid and, when he asks why, tell him it's because he is a childish bully and you can do better.

He does act like a dickhead but of the time he is ok and a nice person (does a lot for the town and sports) he just has very strong opinions and can be irritated by little things. Thete are issues on my part in the relationship that he has been very patient with. He will shout/insult others too not just me (but more so with me as he gets away with it).

I did put it down to his job, he's a builder and they will shout/swear at each other then be best friends hours later whereas in most other jobs i guess it doesnt work like this. I usually just go quiet to avoid annoying him more/being called more but in relationships you should be able to say what you think.

The other thing is he takes the huff over virtually nothing. For example me nipping home today. I still dont know what the issue is with it as he just replied 'what a load of bull'. I could have still gone to his/met up yet he feels the weekend has been wasted :/
I don't get what he did wrong? You're both being equally childish.

Let me explain it from his perspective, cos most guys are similar.

He had to be busy for the day, but wanted an excuse to spend the day with you. See how he asked you? He obviously didn't need the help, he just wanted your company. Then, as he get's irritated by the fact you're not really spending any time together, he's on a short fuse and then when he tries to force some contact, you don't help him so he snaps, and just unfortunately it managed to insult something you feel strongly about. Just chance. Then he tried to call you constantly and you ignored him, so he assumed you were upset and didn't want to talk. So obviously, that upset him. Then when he finally gets to see you, he puts his arm around you to try and comfort you and see if you too are still good. Then a bit of miscommunication, which from his point of view may have seemed like you were basically saying "no" after he said "friends?" Then he rang you because he didn't want you to go, and you further insisted you're leaving. This, of course, upset him even further. He's tried hard all day to spend some time with you and you're just not having it. Then he even tells you "it feels like a wasted weekend" then you show no emotion back, just give him a plain and frankly rude reply. He then, even more annoyed, just starts acting childish.

All he was trying to do was spend time with you, but of course from your point of view you think he's a childish bully. You have to learn to look at it from his point of view :smile:

He thinks you don't wanna spend time with him.
(edited 8 years ago)
That doesn't sound like a healthy relationship and based on what I have read in your original post, the situation is affecting your happiness.

You don't have to deal with disrespectful behaviour like that.

At the end of the day, it's your decision to choose what you want. But, you can do so much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ComputerMaths97

He had to be busy for the day, but wanted an excuse to spend the day with you. See how he asked you? He obviously didn't need the help, he just wanted your company. Then, as he get's irritated by the fact you're not really spending any time together, he's on a short fuse and then when he tries to force some contact, you don't help him so he snaps, and just unfortunately it managed to insult something you feel strongly about. Just chance. Then he tried to call you constantly and you ignored him, so he assumed you were upset and didn't want to talk. So obviously, that upset him. Then when he finally gets to see you, he puts his arm around you to try and comfort you and see if you too are still good. Then a bit of miscommunication, which from his point of view may have seemed like you were basically saying "no" after he said "friends?" Then he rang you because he didn't want you to go, and you further insisted you're leaving. This, of course, upset him even further. He's tried hard all day to spend some time with you and you're just not having it. Then he even tells you "it feels like a wasted weekend" then you show no emotion back, just give him a plain and frankly rude reply. He then, even more annoyed, just starts acting childish.

All he was trying to do was spend time with you, but of course from your point of view you think he's a childish bully. You have to learn to look at it from his point of view :smile:

Did you read the bit where OP says she spends a lot of her time quiet because if she says something that annoys him he shouts and sweats and calls her names?

OP, he's an abusive *******. Don't stay with him, you deserve better.
Original post by georgiaswift
Did you read the bit where OP says she spends a lot of her time quiet because if she says something that annoys him he shouts and sweats and calls her names?

This ^^^ and the bit where OP mentioned that her bf usually gets irritated by her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What the ...? Are you honestly justifying his behaviour?

OP, I can guarantee that you will be much better off and much happier single.

If I'm wrong, PM me and I will give you my home address so you can come and burn it down.
Original post by georgiaswift

With all due respect you're seeing it from a girls perspective. I'm able to see it from the guys perspective, I truly have no idea how the girl feels. I didn't say anything over than what the guy could potentially be thinking, because women always paint guys in the worst possible light because of their reactions, and not there pre-actions. So I thought I'd balance it, and additionally you're really making a mockery of truly horrific abusive partners, he just seems to get angry easily. He's not beating her, so don't try that abusive rubbish.

People are so biased on here, swear I spent 50% of my time just offering opposing views that I don't even agree with just to open people's eyes.

Btw people have different standards. His "shouting and swearing" could be normal for him, so he may not see it as a horrible thing to do unless you tell him. Some people are really opposed to swearing, and therefore have no respect for people that use swear words frequently. So does that mean that all people who swear a lot are abusive and awful people. No, it's all perspective.

I had been there most of the day and he was busy talking to others and helping out, I was stood on my own most of the time and there was nothing else to help with so i went home to get some jobs done. Plus the way he called me didnt really entice me to stay. The time wasnt spent with him anyway. I think he wanted me to wait for him all day but that didnt make sense if i could nip home get some stuff that needs doing done then meet him after. He says he feels the weekend has been wasted because i didnt stand waiting for him all day? I could have met him and stayed at his tonight but he has chosen not to.
Original post by Sabby888
What the ...? Are you honestly justifying his behaviour?

OP, I can guarantee that you will be much better off and much happier single.

If I'm wrong, PM me and I will give you my home address so you can come and burn it down.

Someone's too biased to read properly
The number of times my boyfriend tells me I'm useless and a "****ing retard" and should wake up early and just get on with life (when I'm already a hard working law student) is both frustrating and very upsetting. And the number of times my friends have told me to leave him is quite ridiculous (basically a 10000000 times). I definitely understand your situation, and personally, I would tell you to leave him because you deserve so much better. But the sad thing is, it seems our boyfriends are identical and yet I'm still with mine.

You should follow your head OP, not your heart. Your heart will tell you to stay with him because you like/love him, but your head is the rational one and no woman should have to feel worthless by a boy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I had been there most of the day and he was busy talking to others and helping out, I was stood on my own most of the time and there was nothing else to help with so i went home to get some jobs done. Plus the way he called me didnt really entice me to stay. The time wasnt spent with him anyway. I think he wanted me to wait for him all day but that didnt make sense if i could nip home get some stuff that needs doing done then meet him after. He says he feels the weekend has been wasted because i didnt stand waiting for him all day? I could have met him and stayed at his tonight but he has chosen not to.

See you're progressing. You're right, he may be bad at expressing what he wants, but you have to help some people with stuff like that.

Look I'm not going to force you to stay/ leave him, like all the other aggresively bias people in this thread, I'm just trying to show you that it's perfectly plausible that he's a guy that wants to spend more time with you, but doesn't appreciate how he can't just expect you to always be ready to hang with him, and he maybe has anger issues, and he potentially is rubbish at portraying what he wants/ wishes for. I'm just saying, think about it a bit :smile: Of course it's your life, so do whatever makes you comfortable, but maybe have a sit down with him and chat. It might go well and make your guys' relationship stronger, or it will go really badly and you'll be thankful you found out he wasn't for you quickly :smile: Either way, think of it from his perspective, and read the first sentence of my 2nd paragraph in this post again :smile:
Someone's too biased to read properly

Just re-read your post. It's clear you're listing excuses by pretending to psycho-analyse him and justify his rude words.

Sorry, I don't know what kind of people you hang out with and what kind of behaviour you view as healthy. But if what he said to her is considered normal for you, I'd seriously consider meeting new people.
Original post by euphrosyne
The number of times my boyfriend tells me I'm useless and a "****ing retard" and should wake up early and just get on with life (when I'm already a hard working law student) is both frustrating and very upsetting. And the number of times my friend's have told me to leave him is quite ridiculous (basically a 10000000 times). I definitely understand your situation, and personally, I would tell you to leave him because you deserve so much better. But the sad thing is, it seems our boyfriends are identical and yet I'm still with mine.

You should follow your head OP, not your heart. Your heart will tell you to stay with him because you like/love him, but your head is the rational one and no woman should have to feel worthless by a boy.

Dump him.
With all due respect you're seeing it from a girls perspective. I'm able to see it from the guys perspective, I truly have no idea how the girl feels. I didn't say anything over than what the guy could potentially be thinking, because women always paint guys in the worst possible light because of their reactions, and not there pre-actions. So I thought I'd balance it, and additionally you're really making a mockery of truly horrific abusive partners, he just seems to get angry easily. He's not beating her, so don't try that abusive rubbish.

People are so biased on here, swear I spent 50% of my time just offering opposing views that I don't even agree with just to open people's eyes.

Btw people have different standards. His "shouting and swearing" could be normal for him, so he may not see it as a horrible thing to do unless you tell him. Some people are really opposed to swearing, and therefore have no respect for people that use swear words frequently. So does that mean that all people who swear a lot are abusive and awful people. No, it's all perspective.

Abuse come in different forms. Even though he did not physically hit her, but he was being verbally abusive.

But anyway, to each their own.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The bits in bold are bits I strongly disagree with. The first bit is incredibly sexist, as you're generalising all women and all men.

Secondly, as someone who has been in an abusive relationship I can tell you right now that you don't have to physically assault someone to abuse them.

My ex forbade me from wearing skirts, dresses, makeup, jewellery, clothes of certain colours, heels, shorts, and low cut t shirts. I wasn't allowed to wear my hair down, I wasn't allowed to talk to men (not even my best friend of 15 years), and he constantly accused me of sleeping with people, from my boss to my 13 year old (at the time) brother, as well as accusing me about lying about where I was an who I was with. I also wasn't allowed out without permission, and if I wanted to leave he'd threaten to kill himself and it would all be my fault.

But if he never physically hit me, it's not abuse? You're the one trivialising sufferers of abuse by saying it can only be physical, not me.
Original post by stefano865
Dump him.

If it was that easy, I'd do it! But I can't :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending