Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Advanced Higher English - Possible Exam Questions

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Since it's a new exam, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what sort of questions might come up given the lack of past papers. I know that they changed the question style from the specimen to the exemplar paper to make it more broad. I'm hoping for broad questions as we seem to be one of the few classes only doing one set of texts (Great Gatsby and A Handful of Dust).

I was thinking safe bets to prepare a little bit for, given previous exams, are:

Turning Point
    Difficult/Complex Relationships
    Flawed Character/Protagonist
    Narrative Structure

Any other ideas for possible questions?

My class hasn't done prose fiction this year, but my teacher told us that because before the questions were actually subdivided into one for each author/poet/playwright that the remnants of that will still be noticeable.
    Like there may not be an actual Tennessee Williams or Sylvia Plath labeled question - but there will be questions which are pretty clearly directed towards them. I know for example in our prelim we had one blatantly obvious Shakespeare question about the "fatal flaw" of a character in two plays.

Ah yeah - that makes a lot of sense. I think I once read that nearly 40% of people doing the drama section for the New Higher did Tennessee Williams, so it would be stupid to not have a question geared towards him if the trend continues for Advanced Higher. I also noticed that they kept a setting question in both the specimen and exemplar paper for prose fiction, and had a setting question for Drama for the exemplar. I'm hoping that a lot of staple questions from the Highers get carried on.

Is anyone studying Heart of Darkness for the final exam?
    I'm studying Dorian Gray and Heart of Darkness - DG is perfect and is a great book, but HoD is the worst piece of literature I've ever read, and any analysis I've done on it is minimal. I've been getting anywhere from 13-15 out of 20 on timed essays though.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.