The Student Room Group

The possibility of attending Oxford?

Hi, I would be really grateful if anyone who has been through the uni process or particularly associated with Oxford could answer this for me realistically.

So first off, I go to a really bad state school with an average pass rate of 50% at gcse and I know that Oxford take contextual data into account, I am also from one of the most deprived areas in the UK.

So I am currently studying for my AS levels and at GCSE I obtained the following: A*AAAABBBB
Maths - B
Eng Lan - B
Eng Lit - A
Computer Science - A
Art - A*
Science - A
Additional Science - B
ICT - B
Creative Media - Distinction*

I would like to know what do you think of my chances at gaining a place at Oxford based on my results, I am studying A level fine art, english literature and Biology. I would to study an english or art based degree.

If I where to obtain AAA or higher at A levels, would I have a good chance of getting in?
Thanks for any info.
Original post by devilrhino
Hi, I would be really grateful if anyone who has been through the uni process or particularly associated with Oxford could answer this for me realistically.

So first off, I go to a really bad state school with an average pass rate of 50% at gcse and I know that Oxford take contextual data into account, I am also from one of the most deprived areas in the UK.

So I am currently studying for my AS levels and at GCSE I obtained the following: A*AAAABBBB
Maths - B
Eng Lan - B
Eng Lit - A
Computer Science - A
Art - A*
Science - A
Additional Science - B
ICT - B
Creative Media - Distinction*

I would like to know what do you think of my chances at gaining a place at Oxford based on my results, I am studying A level fine art, english literature and Biology. I would to study an english or art based degree.

If I where to obtain AAA or higher at A levels, would I have a good chance of getting in?
Thanks for any info.

I see no reason why you wouldn't consider applying. Yes, GCSEs are contextualised plus they are only part of the application. AS Level results, A-Level predictions, interviews and any entrance exams or written work you might need to complete will also be considered. If AS goes to plan and there's a course that interests you, come along and visit on an open day if you can and most certainly apply. After all, it is only one of your five options and you might regret not applying if you don't.

Quick Reply

Latest