Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Foundation medicine programme

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

Hi guys, I am currently studying biology, chemistry, maths and psychology. I want to go medicine and thought of applying for the foundation pathway. However I only have 3A's and 5 B's and am predicted CCCC in AS but I think I can raise my predicted grades if I do well in my AS exams (hoping for a ABBB). Reading other people's stats who are also applying for the foundation pathway, I don't think I will be successful.
    What do you guys think? Do GCSE's really matter?
    Any other information you guys have about medicine and foundation programmes then please let me know. Also I wanna hear your stories and how you got into medicine so enlighten me.
    Thank you

A lot of foundation courses are usually only for people that are not qualified for traditional entry and the grade requirements are usually the same. As you are studying chemistry and biology this would exclude you from applying. Its not supposed to be an easy back door into Medicine.
    In these programmes, typically students have good grades but did not take chemistry at A level, are ex-nurses or other health practitioner and people who have demonstrated aptitude to study medicine while not following the traditional route.

There are foundation programs however that accept lower grades such as Nottingham and Durham provided you come from some kind of disadvantaged background,

with requirements such as.

Group A
    • Living in a neighbourhood that is less advantaged in terms of income, education and other factors (we use a postcode tool to assess this).
    • Are, or have previously been, in local authority care/looked after.(A confirmation letter from the Local Authority is required).
    • Living in a household with an income of no more than £35,000.Confirmation of current Child Tax Credit or an equivalent means-tested benefit (such as the new Universal Credit system; documentary evidence required).
    • Currently a sole carer of a parent/s, or if living away from home being the sole carer of a sibling. (A confirmation letter from your school is required).
    • Currently have refugee status (A letter from the Home Office is required).

If you fall into the second category then you need to do you research and apply for the right schools.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.