The Student Room Group
University of York
York
Hi! I'm a member of the swimming club here :smile:

Unfortunately York Uni doesn't have a pool on campus (the new Heslington East is gonna have one, but it won't be ready for years yet...) but we train at a local school pool about 10/15mins walk off campus 3 times a week.

The city has a couple of other pools, but I don't know where they are!

Any more questions? :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
By next year the city will have 2 pools, Edmund Wilson and Yearsley, at the moment it just has one! That's not including next gen or waterworld or any other pool at a gym.
Reply 3
oooh the swimming club... can amateurs join??
I like swimming, but I'm not that good lol.
Also, I'm not applying till 2008, so will Heslington East be ready by then...?
You can swim at both Edmund Wilson and Yearsley now... As for when the pool on campus is gonna open, I have no idea I'm afraid... Sorry!

But yeah anyone can join the swimming club :smile: Every session has lanes for casual swimmers as well as competitive so that's not a problem :smile:
Reply 5
Oh I am ABSOLUTELY going to join. I was in a swmming club for ages but I'm not now and I miss it. I love swimming:biggrin:
Reply 6
Phase 1 of Hes East will be completed in 2010, and I don't think that has the swimming pool in it anyway. Oh, and being a long-term construction project, you should as always take the next highest prime as the estimated completion date, not the one they give you. :p:

In answer to your previous question, I don't think very many unis actually have swimming pools; some of the modern ones like Warwick do, but it's not generally included. We have the lake, but I wouldn't recommend swimming in there, it's still a mystery how the ducks can survive in it without contracting some horrid disease.
Reply 7
Dez

In answer to your previous question, I don't think very many unis actually have swimming pools; some of the modern ones like Warwick do, but it's not generally included. We have the lake, but I wouldn't recommend swimming in there, it's still a mystery how the ducks can survive in it without contracting some horrid disease.

I guess the Unis that are quite sport orientated have them. The rest tend not to.
Bath, with it's insane new sports complex does, and I'm willing to bet Loughborough does.
Reply 8
Ooh, im so joining the swimming soc as well rosie0204! I used to go all the time until i moved town to a swimming pool-less town 2 years ago - seriously been having withdrawal symptoms.

Anyone know if theres any kind of lifesaving club at york, because i used to be really into that as well?
no lifesaving i'm afraid... You could always do a lifeguarding course if you wanted tho and do a job in that...
Reply 10
You could always start one...
Reply 11
hmm Might have to join this. I used to be pretty good, and I was in a casual club for a while. That was a few years ago lol. I should get back into it, tho.
Reply 12
Swimming Club is def. worth going to - they do water polo afterwards :smile:
yeah waterpolo is awesome! Lots of ppl who haven't played start it :smile: I only started playing at the end of last year and I've been to BUSA! We got through to the next round (girls :P) as well!

Latest