The Student Room Group

Help! Need advice on uni application (medicine)

I'm currently in year 12 and am going to be applying to do medicine in the autumn term. I need advice on my applocation. They offer a variety of different 'roles' within my school for sixth form students.
I am torn between what to apply for. One of these roles is a peer mentor. This involves what I imagine to be a rather competitive application process where I have to write a statement about why I want to do it and perhaps be interviewed. This role would entail 6 hours of training and then my responsibility would be to 'pair' with students in the lower school who may be struggling in order to help them.
The other role is a subject champion. You can apply to become a subject champion for any of the subjects you study. This would entail helping out students who are struggling specifically in said subject as well as promoting the subject at open evenings etc.
my opinion is that subject champion will be better for medicine given that they like academic roles.
I do want to become a peer mentor, however I am torn because 1) it will take up a fair amount of my time which I am not sure I want to commit to given that a levels are so difficult 2) in not sure how useful it will actually be in terms of my application. Will the universities really care? 3) the application for peer mentor is first which means if I don't apply and then I apply for subject champion and don't get it ... I won't have anything.
Please give me advice !
If this helps, I also volunteer regularly at a charity called SOLO which organises fun projects for children and young adults with learning disabilities. I also volunteer 2 hours a fortnight at an elderly care home.
My GCSE grades are 9 A* and 2 A plus an A* in short course ICT GCSE. My predicted A level grades are AAAA and I take maths, biology, chemistry and psychology. I am also currently a form prefect. This entails going to my year 7 form every week to sign planners, help with homework, chat to them or provide educational fun activities .
Thanks for the advice !
You seem to be doing well academically so I would go with the option you will most enjoy. Medical schools are not too bothered about the what you do. There is a greater emphasis on the skills you develop from those experience such as leadership, communication, etc... :biggrin:
Original post by Izzy6785
One of these roles is a peer mentor. This involves what I imagine to be a rather competitive application process where I have to write a statement about why I want to do it and perhaps be interviewed. This role would entail 6 hours of training and then my responsibility would be to 'pair' with students in the lower school who may be struggling in order to help them.
The other role is a subject champion. You can apply to become a subject champion for any of the subjects you study. This would entail helping out students who are struggling specifically in said subject as well as promoting the subject at open evenings etc.
my opinion is that subject champion will be better for medicine given that they like academic roles.
I do want to become a peer mentor, however I am torn because 1) it will take up a fair amount of my time which I am not sure I want to commit to given that a levels are so difficult 2) in not sure how useful it will actually be in terms of my application. Will the universities really care? 3) the application for peer mentor is first which means if I don't apply and then I apply for subject champion and don't get it ... I won't have anything.

Good morning,

Your grades seem pretty good - well done! :biggrin:

Regarding which role to apply to, you wrote above "I do want to become a peer mentor"... As you've got such good grades, and as mentioned in the answer above, maybe just go for what you want to do!

It will certainly look good on your application that you've undergone training in order to do something, plus it will be very interesting for you to help students of a younger age.

On the other hand, it will also be a very interesting thing to become a Subject Champion. For instance, have you thought about the challenges you might face when trying to tutor/help students who are the same age as you, and perhaps in the same social groups? It could certainly make for an interesting dynamic. Again, this would look good on your application, and would give you something interesting to talk about.

In all - if you're really worried about your A level grades, then go for the champion role which requires less hours of training. But if you think you're on top of it all, why not go for the peer mentor role!

Maybe create a great A level revision plan for yourself, and see where you stand.

We hope the above helps you decide - ultimately it's your decision!

The Medic Portal
Reply 3
Original post by The Medic Portal
Good morning,

Your grades seem pretty good - well done! :biggrin:

Regarding which role to apply to, you wrote above "I do want to become a peer mentor"... As you've got such good grades, and as mentioned in the answer above, maybe just go for what you want to do!

It will certainly look good on your application that you've undergone training in order to do something, plus it will be very interesting for you to help students of a younger age.

On the other hand, it will also be a very interesting thing to become a Subject Champion. For instance, have you thought about the challenges you might face when trying to tutor/help students who are the same age as you, and perhaps in the same social groups? It could certainly make for an interesting dynamic. Again, this would look good on your application, and would give you something interesting to talk about.

In all - if you're really worried about your A level grades, then go for the champion role which requires less hours of training. But if you think you're on top of it all, why not go for the peer mentor role!

Maybe create a great A level revision plan for yourself, and see where you stand.

We hope the above helps you decide - ultimately it's your decision!

The Medic Portal

Thank you so much!
Original post by Izzy6785
Thank you so much!

No problem! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending