The Student Room Group

Is my instructor taking things slow?

I'm aiming to book my test in early September. I've have four 2 hour lessons so far (one of them 1.5 hours). So far I've driven in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear (practiced 3rd gear for first time in prev lesson), 20-40 mph roads, rain, school zones, taken roundabouts, junctions, passed zebra crossings and traffic lights, used windscreen wipers, been driving back home from 2nd lesson, and practiced a turn in the road a few times. Some people think that my instructor is taking things slow, although I'm not sure - is this progress normal for someone with no previous driving experience?
Original post by goldenshades
I'm aiming to book my test in early September. I've have four 2 hour lessons so far (one of them 1.5 hours). So far I've driven in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear (practiced 3rd gear for first time in prev lesson), 20-40 mph roads, rain, school zones, taken roundabouts, junctions, passed zebra crossings and traffic lights, used windscreen wipers, been driving back home from 2nd lesson, and practiced a turn in the road a few times. Some people think that my instructor is taking things slow, although I'm not sure - is this progress normal for someone with no previous driving experience?

Erm, I would've said that's pretty decent progress for 7.5 hours worth of lessons... Obviously everyone takes things at different speeds, but for the first few lessons I'd say well done!! It's always hard to judge whether you're going too slow or not compared to others, so just do what feels right for you. When you get to the stage of feeling comfortable driving in the area you are, perhaps ask your instructor if you could try some new/faster roads, bigger roundabouts, perhaps see if you can get a lesson at a busier time...

Overall though, your instructor should be able to know when you're ready to move on to more difficult things...! Progress definitely sounds good so far though!
Reply 2
Original post by goldenshades

Passing your test takes, on average, 45 hours of lessons according to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency. That's likely to cost over £1,000.
Reply 3
A good driver is a safe driver.
In a month I finished most of your stuff so not really.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
For the most part, I wouldn't worry.

However, I am concerned that you have driven on 40mph roads yet haven't been in 4th or 5th gear.
That's really good progress for such a short period of time. You can't listen to what everyone in your life says though because all instructors teach differently and all students learn differently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending