The Student Room Group

Do scars make people uglier?

I ended up having 20 stitches in my hand last night after losing a fight with a spiky fence...

I can tell already that the scar is going to be very noticeable, but I'm not too horrified about that. It made me wonder what other people thought about them; do they put you off a prospective partner or do you find them endearing?

I met a guy from the army once and he had a huge skin graft on his chest after being in a fire of some description, and I found them to make him more attractive- he was pretty built and handsome already. Do you think it's about the context?

Just wondering what you guys thought :smile:
Original post by Katiecartwright
I ended up having 20 stitches in my hand last night after losing a fight with a spiky fence...

I can tell already that the scar is going to be very noticeable, but I'm not too horrified about that. It made me wonder what other people thought about them; do they put you off a prospective partner or do you find them endearing?

I met a guy from the army once and he had a huge skin graft on his chest after being in a fire of some description, and I found them to make him more attractive- he was pretty built and handsome already. Do you think it's about the context?

Judging by most soldiers I know his heroic description of his injuries was probably just a smokescreen for some dumbassery he did when he was drunk, just like yours :yy: :yy:
Original post by SmashConcept
Judging by most soldiers I know his heroic description of his injuries was probably just a smokescreen for some dumbassery he did when he was drunk, just like yours :yy: :yy:

Haha, I wasn't drunk! Someone threw my phone over a fence and I slipped trying to retrieve it! Well, whether he lied or not (I doubt it, they were pretty severe burns) that's not the point, I'm considering responses on th basis of those beliefs
Haha, I wasn't drunk! Someone threw my phone over a fence and I slipped trying to retrieve it! Well, whether he lied or not (I doubt it, they were pretty severe burns) that's not the point, I'm considering responses on th basis of those beliefs

Well my response remains the same: make up a story that makes you seem like less of an idiot and people will still think you're hot.
it shouldn't matter it was an injury that cannot be dealt with, and it wouldn't affect anything major, eventually at least once in their lifetime someone will undergo stitches surgery or whatever

aha i also though this was about acne scarring- stressful times
Original post by sfaraj
it shouldn't matter it was an injury that cannot be dealt with, and it wouldn't affect anything major, eventually at least once in their lifetime someone will undergo stitches surgery or whatever

aha i also though this was about acne scarring- stressful times

Acne is the most unfair **** ever! Do you feel differently about self inflicted scars?
I hope not :redface:

you seem vain, enjoy your life, who gives a fk what people say and think about you lol...
I'm fairly hypocritical about saying this as i was vain until i noticed that i am actually beautiful, you don't need validation from people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Acne is the most unfair **** ever! Do you feel differently about self inflicted scars?

i know self harmers or former self harmers, and they are so happy that they have managed to change their lves that the dont care if their scars show or not

and what do you mean by your question? im unsure on how to answer it...

and acne scars the the worse! i can't deal with it, no matter what i do they will stay forever- my fault i guess for picking at them...

EVERYONE, every human being on this planet has at least one physical scar.

No it will not make you ugly at all. I have four scars personally and no one has had an issue with it yet. Nor have i had issues with the scars that my partners have had
They don't bother me in the slightest. And I have many, if someone else can't accept that, that's their loss because I'm fine with and without them.
Original post by LearnForYOU
you seem vain, enjoy your life, who gives a fk what people say and think about you lol...
I'm fairly hypocritical about saying this as i was vain until i noticed that i am actually beautiful, you don't need validation from people.

Like I said, I'm not especially bothered about a scar on my hand. You just seem judgemental to call me vain and then you hypocritically made your comment about yourself...

I'm talking about particularly prominent scarring here and I'm just interested in hearing about other people's experiences
I'm talking about particularly prominent scarring here and I'm just interested in hearing about other people's experiences

I think most people won't judge you on a scar, because that would be ridiculous. I have a horizontal scar on my eyebrow, and as a girl a loooooot of people made fun of me because they said that having a scar on your eyebrow is a "guy thing", some people even thought I had done it on purpose. What I'm trying to say here is, when I was a little girl I didn't even notice the scar, because it wasn't important for me, but when people started to say mean things about it, that's when I noticed it and I began to hate it. But growing up, some people were telling me that it was actually cool, and I realised that the most important thing was how I feel about it. If I look at myself in the mirror and think my scar is beautiful, then I don't see why I should hear other people's opinions, cause it's my face, just like it's your hand, so if you can live with it, then that's perfect !
I didn't really answer the question but : I guess some people are always going to be judgemental but they're not really being intelligent. Scars are part of your life and as Emma Watson once said "Beauty is the marks that life leaves on us".
So my point is if someone thinks a scar makes you uglier, you shouldn't even think the argument is relevant.
I have 2 scars on my face from being an accident prone child and i find very few people notice them even though im very self contious of them. My boyfriend doesnt mind them at all.

And my boyfriend has scars on his arm and im very tactile and actually stroke them :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest