The Student Room Group

Controversy relating to human rights and terrorism

Hi all, I'm trying to find example of where controversy can be related to human rights and terrorism. some examples I've got so far is in relation to the troubles in northern ireland in relation to right to life and also right to a fair trail. i have also included of different acts like the Terrorism Act 2000 with the introduction of new stop and search rights.

If anyone could help me out with more ideas i would be extremely grateful

thanks!
Original post by Tom Bramley
Hi all, I'm trying to find example of where controversy can be related to human rights and terrorism. some examples I've got so far is in relation to the troubles in northern ireland in relation to right to life and also right to a fair trail. i have also included of different acts like the Terrorism Act 2000 with the introduction of new stop and search rights.

If anyone could help me out with more ideas i would be extremely grateful

thanks!

You could mention the issues with the way terror suspects have been subjected to torture and inhuman or degrading treatment contrary to Article 3 of the ECHR. The case of Ireland v United Kingdom involving IRA suspects and the "five techniques" used on them. Then there is the example of Guantanamo Bay; read up on the US arguments against the accusations of torture and the claims that waterboarding isn't torture.

The latter example only applies if you're writing about global human rights as opposed to just human rights in the UK, of course.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by WBZ144
You could mention the issues with the way terror suspects have been subjected to torture and inhuman or degrading treatment contrary to Article 3 of the ECHR. The case of Ireland v United Kingdom involving IRA suspects and the "five techniques" used on them. Then there is the example of Guantanamo Bay; read up on the US arguments against the accusations of torture and the claims that waterboarding isn't torture.

The latter example only applies if you're writing about global human rights as opposed to just human rights in the UK, of course.

Thanks for this, unfortunately i am focusing on the UK so unable to use the latter example. I'm trying to find examples that do not include the troubles in NI but struggling, any ideas?
Thanks for this, unfortunately i am focusing on the UK so unable to use the latter example. I'm trying to find examples that do not include the troubles in NI but struggling, any ideas?

Give this a read:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.article19.org/pdfs/analysis/terrorism-submission-to-icj-panel.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiIrbCI7arMAhULFSwKHYOcAWkQFggfMAA&usg=AFQjCNGe5RM1i4ao3W2wjfdS39qXAlnWmA
Another example is the issue with extradition of terror suspects like Abu Hamza to countries where there is a reasonable a chance that they could be tortured. The government is currently trying to amend the law to make the extradition process easier. I'll see if I can find a good link. Use the case of Chahal v The United Kingdom.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by WBZ144
Another example is the issue with extradition of terror suspects like Abu Hamza to countries where there is a reasonable a chance that they could be tortured. The government is currently trying to amend the law to make the extradition process easier. I'll see if I can find a good link. Use the case of Chahal v The United Kingdom.

Thankyou very much for all your help :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by WBZ144

Hi again, I was wondering whether you know of any other cases where human rights need to be breached so that terrorism is prevented and to protect the UK public?

Thanks
Hi again, I was wondering whether you know of any other cases where human rights need to be breached so that terrorism is prevented and to protect the UK public?

Thanks

Sorry! I was going to reply but had a deadline and forgot. When do you need this by?
Reply 8

Thanks

Hi Sorry if it's too late but a highly controversial way of preventing terrorism is the idea of shooting to kill where a persons Article 2 rights are undermined in order to protect the public at large. In relation to the United Kingdom the main cases are McCann v The United Kingdom 2011 and Armani Da Silva v The United Kingdom (Jean Charles De Menezes) 2016

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending