Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

My heart is not in it any-more :(

Forum navigation

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I am about to complete my second year at university and I am so close, but my heart really is not in it any-more! I study social sciences (as you'll see in my name).

I never knew what I wanted to do in my life to be honest. At first, it was social worker, then it was something to do with criminology.. By this time, I have well and truly decided what I want to do and that is to work within the healthcare industry which I have done as a care worker. My university is low ranking and the employment prospects are quite frankly, not that good.

I worked in an apprenticeship/NVQ office as administrator doing an NVQ myself and I absolutely loved it! So I have decided on NVQ assessor course. I loved the type of work they do, and oddly enough - the paperwork and marking and supporting students! It's definitely my thing. I have already organised a 24+ student loan (I called SFE and I am eligible), and what course I need to do, etc. Also got a placement in place ready to start to do my QCF/NVQ Level 3 in H&SC.

However I am slightly stuck! I am about to finish my second year, so if I leave now: what am I going to end up with? A diploma or a foundation degree? Also what is going to happen to my maintenance loan? Do I have to repay all of the two years back? I understand I will need to pay tuition fees back, but instead of wasting another 9k at university on a degree that will not get my anywhere, I am going for a course that will get me somewhere in life.

Thanks in advance, but do you think it is the right thing here? Has anybody ever dropped out of university and regretted it?

i dunno how thread title matches the OP
    i came here to read something else... that title is pretty catchy

(Original post by fatima1998)
    i dunno how thread title matches the OP
    i came here to read something else... that title is pretty catchy
    Okay lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

As with all student loans, it will sit and grow interest until you are earning enough to start paying it back. It depends if you got a loan or a grant.
    I'm not sure what qualification you'll come out with, it would be worth asking about that before you decide to quit the course, it may be worth seeing out one more year and getting through it, at least so you have the degree. You can still go and retrain after you come out of uni.

Sometimes it's good to jump ship and start on something new. I only managed one year of uni before deciding the course wasn't what I wanted to do, and things worked out in the end.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.