The Student Room Group

Weekend Work Help

Hey guys, I'm currently looking for a weekend job or a zero hours contract.

I don't have any work experience so I was wondering which companies are the most likely to employ somebody in my position?

I don't really mind the kind of work, I've so far been thinking of retail, waiting staff, bar work etc
Original post by WalkOnWater779

I don't have any work experience so I was wondering which companies are the most likely to employ somebody in my position?

I don't really mind the kind of work, I've so far been thinking of retail, waiting staff, bar work etc

I got a couple of interview in retail with no paid experience but i had 2 years worth of volunteering in a charity shop so that probably made all the difference really. I would look into clothes shops like river island, new look and places like pizza hut. Bare in mind loads of places ask for references so that can make it a little difficult.
You will be better off applying for WHSmith they employ loads of students which is good and the pay isnt bad just look for part time Weekends , they will give you 12 Hours per week at 4.45£ per hour . Have a look at their website WHSmith Carrers or Try Indeed App on your phone of PC.
Reply 3
Have a look on primark website, summer is coming, and so this is the time for them to recruit more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

I would recommend looking at Primark.

They offer weekend-only contracts where you will only be required to work weekends (and possibly one short week night shift).

You will only have to work weekdays on bank holidays or if you choose to do overtime.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 5
I know Sports Direct do zero hour contracts, not sure if they do weekend only or not though.
Original post by Gurs
I know Sports Direct do zero hour contracts, not sure if they do weekend only or not though.

They are 'famous' for that now...
Reply 7

It's very rare to find jobs that are strictly contracted weekends so just look for a job that has an 8-12 hour contract and state in your interview that you're only available on weekends. It will be difficult because in my experience they will value people with more flexibility/availability over people who can only work 2 days a week but unfortunately thats the way it works, if you put yourself in a companies position it's a lot more convenient for them to hire somebody who can cover a shift on a weekday last minute rather than somebody who they know won't be available. Obviously if you're a student or whatever or you have other commitments during the week it's not your fault, but companies don't care about that.. they want people who are flexible. I went through most of my time at uni without a part time job because nobody would hire me because I had barely any availability but it was totally out of my control and I didn't want to put my degree at risk for the sake of maybe 200-300 pounds extra a month.

There are places out there though that need people to specifically work weekends, where I work now theres a couple of people who are only in on weekends and then will do the odd day during the week here and there which is handy because some people don't want to work weekends.. you just have to be patient! I started properly looking for a part time job during my last year at uni back in August where the hours suited me and I didn't get one until March (as in march 2016)

Try mcdonalds.
They do zero hour contracts, and are pretty flexible with hours.
You can do just weekends, evenings, weekdays, or whatever suits you.
They employ quite a few students. And you can always do more hours in the holidays if you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending