The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan

Hello,

I am an EU national and I have been in the UK since 2013 August, I came to the UK to work and have been here most of the time, on August it will be three years since i been here, I noticed that from this year i need to have lived her for 5 years to be eligible for the maintenance loan, however since I have been working all the time,I should be classified as an migrant worker. However the University that I will be attending is in Scotland, SAAS will pay my tuition fees, and I only want to apply for the maintenance loan from England, since I have been living here. My question if i apply as a migrant worker now, but leave my current job in england, since I have to move over to Scotland and look for a part time job there, will i still be considered a migrant worker for the time I will be looking for a job? And Is it even okay work in Scotland and not here in England?

Thank you for your help
Original post by Theznez
Hello,

I am an EU national and I have been in the UK since 2013 August, I came to the UK to work and have been here most of the time, on August it will be three years since i been here, I noticed that from this year i need to have lived her for 5 years to be eligible for the maintenance loan, however since I have been working all the time,I should be classified as an migrant worker. However the University that I will be attending is in Scotland, SAAS will pay my tuition fees, and I only want to apply for the maintenance loan from England, since I have been living here. My question if i apply as a migrant worker now, but leave my current job in england, since I have to move over to Scotland and look for a part time job there, will i still be considered a migrant worker for the time I will be looking for a job? And Is it even okay work in Scotland and not here in England?

Thank you for your help

You aren't eligible to apply for funding from BOTH SAAS as an "other EU" student and also to SFE as a "migrant worker"

You need to decide whether you would prefer to apply as if you are an English student (so full £9k fees with a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan) or whether you want to apply as an "other EU" student (so tuition paid for by SAAS).

Applying for funding from both bodies would be fraudulent.
Reply 2
And if I apply for both the fees and loan as an migrant worker, and leave for Scotland, at that time having no job, until I find on there? Will I still be considered a migrant worker for the time without a job and while working in Scotland?
Hi there.

If you're moving to Scotland and beginning a new course, your only option would be to apply to SAAS. SFE would not be able to fund you.

Further information on SAAS funding can be given by calling them on 0300 555 0505.

Thanks.

Quick Reply